20% achievement element for apprenticeships

Home Forums Data issues 20% achievement element for apprenticeships

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  stewartsegal 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi,
    Can anyone confirm if the new 20% achievement element for apprenticeships from 13/14 will be paid upon completion of the framework, or completion of each element?
    For eg, most of our apprentices are on a 42month length of stay, and complete functional skills during the first 12 months. Do we have to wait until they complete their apprenticeship before we receive the 20% achievement for the FS’s, or will this be paid when we enter an achievement date for the FS? Will the knowledge elements be the same? And will the Competence element remain the same as this year (as in paid upon framework completion) or will this also change to completion of the component?
    Any help will be much appreciated, as I’m trying to work out some models to see exactly what difference/how much of an impact this change will have on our MCVs.
    Thanks

Sandra

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

There is no completion element for Functional Skills and so you just get paid the full value (a couple of hundred pounds) spread over the duration of the FS course. If the learner completes it earlier than planned then you get the full balance outstanding paid to you in the month of the achievement date. Conversely if it takes longer to achieve then you will receive all of the payments over the planned period and nothing for the extended time it takes to reach achievement.

For the Main Aim of an Apprenticeship you have to wait until the achievement date before you get the 20% retention/completion money. As above you can get it all early if the learner finishes early. If the learner finishes late then you get all of the OPP during the planned period, but only get the 20% when the achievement date goes in.

Now if the Main Aim is completed first and the FS are not finished until a later date then arguably you cannot enter the achievement date against the Main Aim until the FS are done because they are required to fully achieve the NVQ (Main Aim). I don’t know what would happen if you tried putting in an achievement date before the FS were finished – the LIS might object and/or the SFA might have checks that means you don’t get the 20% paid until the FS have achievement dates.

*EDIT* As others have wisely said below, it requires the achievement date on the Program Aim to be filled in and this cannot be done until all of the Aims within the Program have been achieved – so obvious now you’ve said it – thanks, Martin & Sandra.*EDIT*

HTH
    Caspar

Martin West
    Participant

Hi All,

Not sure about 2013/14 as still waiting for details from the SFA but for the current year.

For Apprenticeships the Achievement can only be claimed on completion of the framework this is recorded against the programme aim when you have evidence of the completion application or the framework certificate. The amount is derived from the main aim but the learner has to complete all funded and none funded elements of the framework first including PLTS and ERR.

Hope this clarification helps

lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys, it’s next year I’m questioning, as I was at an LSECT seminar on the funding rules for 13/14 and the talk there was of 20% achievement element to be paid for all components. I’m assuming for the competence aim, this will remain the same, and will not be paid until we enter the achievement date in the programme aim. However, it was for the other elements of the framework I was wondering… Like Martin says, i may need to wait until more details are released from the SFA.

Casper, we have quite a few cases where there is still a component to be completed such as knowledge, or FS, after completion of the main aim. The achievement 25% is only paid when we enter a completion date in the programme aim, therefore, you can still enter the completion date for the main aim.

Thanks
    Sandra

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

From the 2013/14 funding rules it implies that achievement will still be based on the framework see below.
    136. In the case of learners funded by us, if you, the learner or the employer do not apply for an Apprenticeship completion certificate, you must not claim the achievement element of the Apprenticeship.

The following would be difficult in practice if it did apply to all apprenticeship components.
    122.4. To make sure you receive the achievement element of the funding, the actual end date recorded on the ILR must be at least one year and one day after the start date.

I think the reference to the achievement element to be paid for all components only applies to ALR but we will have to wait and see.

Regards

lapsed_user
    Participant

Thanks Martin, that helps a bit…. I’ve possibly misunderstood and assumed this was for ER Apps…

Thanks

Sandra

Tony Braithwaite
    Participant

On an associated issue, namely how much funding for an apprenticeship for 2013/14, I have derived from the Apprenticeship tab of SFA ‘Qualifications approved for public funding as part of the single adult skills budget (2013/14)’ spreadsheet that the funding value for adult apprenticeship elements has been derived from the current SLN value * weighting * £2615 (adult 19-24 funding rate for 2012/13) – so not exactly a new funding method for apprenticeships!

Can I assume that for 16-18 apprenticeships we can use the current 16-18 funding value (£2804)? Also what about 24+ on level 2 apprenticeships?

Does anyone know when a definitive funding formula guide is going to be published? We should be ascertaining now the volumes of learners we need to target to meet allocations, it’s no good waiting until May or June to start planning – please can we have some action?

lapsed_user
    Participant

No clue, sorry!! I think we’re all as baffled as each other re our profiling for apprenticeship provision for next year!

stewartsegal
    Participant

As far as I know SFA will be issuing an update to the Funding Simplification Document which will hopefully set out details of how the achievement element will be paid and the rates for 16-19 Apprenticeships (including Functional Skills) amongst other funding issues. There are still a number of details not yet been announced so it is diffcult to forecast income at this stage.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.