Additional jobs for apprentices

Home Forums Data issues Additional jobs for apprentices

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jaci 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • JadeTurnerTC
    Participant

Hi all

Does anyone know what the rules are (if any) about apprentices have an additional part-time job? They work 37.5 hours per week with us, but we have a few that have told us they have other part time positions too.
    Ages range from 16 – 24.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Jade

lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi Jade.

I don’t think there are any rules about this. Our IT Apprentice had 2 extra jobs to support him while he was on apprentice wages. The only issue I see is that they may end up working more than the EU limit of 48 hours per week. Also, the second job may put the apprentice into a taxable bracket and they could well see a significant proportion of their second job wages going to the taxman as another of our apprentices recently discovered.

Regards,

Ian

NBNSAHealth
    Participant

Hi Jade,

Does the contract with the main employer state whether they cannot take other employment? Particularly if any time is being given as study leave but actually being spent working the other job.

From a training provider point of view I would want to be sure that they have sufficient time to devote to study as well as multiple jobs; they may cope in the early stages but if it starts to clash they are then at risk of the apprenticeship assignments being sidelined and thus not completing or completing late.

Jaci
    Participant

Ian – It is 48 for 18+ only. It is 40 for 16 and 17 year old

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.