Application of funding qualifying dates

Home Forums Data issues Application of funding qualifying dates

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cris Hale 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Cris Hale
    Participant

Hi all,

We have a learner whose funding qualifying period came to an end since the last ILR upload and before the next one. She needs changing to a different course.

The question I have is how the qualifying period is applied. The ESFA at the ultimate end of the upload don’t know when we process this change, so are they happy for us to make it any time before the next upload? Would we have had to do it by the last upload?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cris

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Cris,
    The funding system will adjust funding payments to the provider from the levy based on any data adjustment or change entered during the current funding year, but this must be completed prior to the final R14 submission at the latest.
    HTH

Cris Hale
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I didn’t word my query very well. What I’m unsure about is whether we can change the course without processing her as a withdrawal, in line with the Provider Supprt Manual guidance:

392. If the learner changes their learning aim during the funding qualifying period, then the learning aim details can be amended on the original ILR record.

Obviously it is more straightforward to do it that way, but I’m unclear how they apply the rule, since her date fell between the last ILR period end and the next one coming. From their point of view they couldn’t tell if we amended it before or after the date, so whether I can make the change on the ILR or not depends on how they apply their rule, which I can’t begin to guess at.

Basically, will they treat the data uploaded for R08 as being after the funding qualifying date (FQD), given that the date falls between the R07 and R08 closes. I should also mention that she’s on an apprenticeship standard, because one thread suggested there was a question mark over the FQD for those.

Thanks,
    Cris

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Cris,
    Rule 392 relates to an aim and not necessarily an Apprenticeship Programme which may be more complicated to change due to any implications where this is also recorded and paid from an Employers levy account.
    The funding system does not require that the data is entered during or prior to any specific period as it will retrospectively change any funding.
    You should check Page 91 of the ILR PSM to see if the section on Transfers to a different apprenticeship with the same provider is more appropriate to your scenario.
    HTH

Cris Hale
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thanks – I’ve taken a look at that section. It would be helpful if it said whether more specific paragraphs (for example, for apprenticeships over learning in general) superceded less specific rules. As it is, they may contradict or they may not.

I found the following rule which applies generally, and includes a reference to the programme, but it’s not clear whether it still applies to apprenticeships:

417. If a learner transfers to another programme or learning aim after the funding qualifying period, then the original learning aim record(s) will need to be closed and new learning aim(s) added: see Table 4. You should not just amend the details on the original learning aim(s).

I think in the absence of any specific information about how the funding qualifying date is applied I might opt to play it safe, but I’m not happy with the extra complication if it isn’t necessary!

Cris

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Cris,
    The general section for recording Apprenticeship programme does include the following:
    478. If the apprentice changes any of their learning aims during the funding qualifying period, then the learning aim details can be amended on the original ILR record.

I think this is more appropriate for a change within the qualifying period.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

The qualifying period simply looks at Start Date, Planned End Date and Actual End Date. If they really did change within the qualifying period, it doesn’t matter when you report it (as long as it’s by R14). How would they know otherwise? We often get late notification of changes, trying to keep up with what had been reported in which ILR would be chaos.

Cris Hale
    Participant

Martin – That rule also looks quite a lot like it refers specifically to component aims, so I wonder.

Ruth – That’s an interesting point. So would you suggest the visit where learning of the new aim was begun as the ‘changeover date’, then?

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I’d say the changeover date is when you have evidence of learning on the new one, whatever that evidence is.

I just checked, and we had an apprentice complete 27 days on a a Standard. We got notified quite late. Once it went in the ILR, the co-investments payments we’d had were clawed back, based on the Actual End Date, even though it was a couple of returns ago.

Cris Hale
    Participant

Thanks, Ruth.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.