Apprenticeship Service Roadmap 2019 – 2020

Home Forums Data issues Apprenticeship Service Roadmap 2019 – 2020

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • CES28
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve received an update from EFSA Digital about the Apprenticeship Service Roadmap 2019 – 2020 and wondered if anyone could clarify a point on July-Sept 19. The second point states that Non-Levy paying employers can reserve funds. Does this mean that they reserve funds with their chosen training provider? Any clarity on this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ben.Feighery
    Participant

I think that would be part of the programme to get non-Levy employers using the same systems as the Levy employers, however since they don’t have money coming in from their transfers to HMRC under the levy, this will be the employer requesting the funds to cover a learner’s training (minus the co-investment), i imagine this will either be from a chosen provider’s contract/allocation, or from a central ESFA allocation.

Hopefully someone has something more concrete on this?

Ben F.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

From what I heard last, it would be with a specific provider (though not necessarily from their allocation), and it would be for a specific apprenticeship, not a specific amount. Are they really still going ahead with this for July-Sep 2019? That’s very soon. I’ve heard nothing about it since doing some research thing months and months ago. It’s going to be a huge undertaking getting all the non-levy providers to use the DAS. Some of our employers don’t even have a computer, they do all their business on mobile devices.

I raised some serious concerns about the changes a while back, so if they’re going to roll it out that soon, we need guidance really soon so we can prepare.

Martin West
    Participant

Ben.Feighery
    Participant

Thanks Martin.

the shock of the initial description has not yet worn off..

“come on board the Education and Skills Funding Agency’s award-winning apprenticeship service”

who on earth gave out the award?

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Martin – Honestly though, that says a whole lot of nothing. The only hint at anything is “all employers will be able to control how they pay for their apprenticeship training”. No detail on how. It says nothing about reserving funds, or what that means, which was what CES28 was asking about.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Although this is only being piloted at present non-levy paying employers will be able to use an apprenticeship service account in the same way as current levy paying employers. AS there will be no levy contributions in their account 95% of the funding will be paid by the ESFA with a 5% co-investment contribution from the employer.
    This is all intended to replace current non-levy allocations with true employer demand, I would not anticipate there would be any reserving funds.
    The Apprenticeship service indentify each employers A/C as non or levy paying but non-levy employers will still be recorded as ACT 2 even when they use an Apprenticeship service account.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

It’s the replacing of allocations that’s the thing we don’t know about yet. Will there be a national allocation? What happens if that runs out? The reserving of funds is definitely something that has been on the table, whether or not it’s still the plan. That’s what CES28 was highlighting in an updated road map (which I cannot find, so haven’t seen).

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Reserving funds is possibly the way the ESFA will use to limit if necessary the available funding for non-levy paying employers from the central pot as against giving allocations to Providers.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

The point is, you’re just guessing. The road map says that reserving funds is happening Jul-Sep 19, yet we’ve had no information about it.

I did find the road map on the ESFADigitalServices twitter in the end, on the 10th June.

I’m slightly concerned that it says that Stopping and Pausing apprentices will be easier. It’s already very easy, and some employers are already too enthusiastic about stopping them. We’ve had one employer twice stop the same apprentice too early, which then takes them ages to unpick, and we can’t assist them beyond giving them advice.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Not guessing but reading between the lines of the published trial that includes the requirement that the non-levy paying employer must already be working with a provider who has a non-levy allocation with available funds and it will be the funding from the Providers allocation that would be reserved.
    After the trial when the service is opened to all non-levy employers and there are no non-levy allocations the funds can only come from the ESFA central pot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.