Apprenticeships Level 2 Functional Skills

From Thursday 10 December, feconnect will be replaced by ESFA Communities.

Feconnect is being replaced by a more robust, accessible service. ESFA Communities is now live and so feconnect will be read only from Thursday 10 December 2020. From this date it will not be possible to create or reply to topics or posts. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Data issues Apprenticeships Level 2 Functional Skills

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kathleenmonica 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • nell29
    Participant

Hi, can anyone clarify whether all Apprenticeship learners who have been on programme since May 2017 are to sit the Level 2 tests for Functional Skills and do they need to pass these? We have referred to guidance but are still slightly unsure.

JJP1981
    Participant

They must sit the tests, they don’t have to pass them, see:

“P105
    105.2. start, continue to study and take the test for level 2 English and maths before they complete their apprenticeship: they do not have to achieve English and maths to complete their apprenticeship”

thanks,
    JJ.

Martin West
    Participant

For L2:
    105.2. start, continue to study and take the test for level 2 English and maths before they complete their apprenticeship: they do not have to achieve English and maths to complete their apprenticeship
    For L 3 and above:
    106.1. apprentices must achieve level 2 functional skills or GCSE qualifications grade A* to C (or 4 to 9) in English and maths before taking end-point assessment or achieving an apprenticeship framework

nell29
    Participant

Does the Level 2 have to be recorded on the MIS systems?

Martin West
    Participant

Yes and also included in your ILR retrun

nell29
    Participant

But if you record it in the ILR and they don’t have to achieve it then they won’t achieve all their component aims recorded in the ILR?

Martin West
    Participant

As these aims are not required in order to achieve a L2 framework they are not a component aim.

kathleenmonica
    Participant

Hi all

Thanks for the advice above. Could I ask please, if a learner enrols to an intermediate apprenticeship and has proxy at L1 must they enrol to L2 Maths and or English. Our apprenticeship department has been advised that they don’t.

Thanks

Martin West
    Participant

YES

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Kathleen,
    Sorry to be so short with my last answer but I cannot understand how some do not understand what has been the requirement for some time now.

If they are having difficulty in understanding the current funding rules this was better said when it was introduced last year in the funding rules:
    C21.1. If they already have a Level 1 in either English or maths that meets the minimum requirement of the apprenticeship framework before they start they must start and continue to study Level-2 English or maths.

They should have been doing this anyway.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Martin West.

kathleenmonica
    Participant

Don’t apologise Martin, it made me laugh. Cheered me up no end!

Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.