Are you ready for R03?

Home Forums Data issues Are you ready for R03?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Caspar Verney 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
  • Caspar Verney
    Participant

According the the “Latest DCFT News”: “the final version of DCFT will go ahead as planned on or before Thursday, 24 October”.

According to the latest SFA Update (179) “we will for R03 retain pay on profile” and “As part of the transition to the new funding system and to ensure confidence in the data submission, we will parallel run the current system and the new DCFT system; you will need to submit your return to both systems” [NB this last item means a 2013-14 XML Batch File should be submitted to OLDC as well].

What is currently unclear is whether the R03 return is Mandatory or Optional.

Is everybody ready to make a return by 6 November 2013?

I am still awaiting data lookup tables from the Authorities and there are now just 6 working days remaining before October 24th.

Does anyone else feel like screaming?
    Caspar

jowright
    Participant

Isn’t it time for this scandalous failure to be referred to a higher authority? Trouble is, this is nothing new. Same old situation year after year.

chrisbradley
    Participant

I would not have put it so politely!!!

steveh
    Participant

To be fair, it’s not *quite* year after year, last year when nothing at all changed was relatively smooth as these things go, but yes, every time there is any sort of redesign the project missed its deadlines. Considering there has been at least a TWO YEAR lead-in on this one it’s pretty shocking that we’re in this situation. I’m also not seeing any capital-L Leadership to reassure us, the providers, that it will be OK, it’s very much heads down and get on with it.

For those of us paid on profile it’s, in the grander scheme of things, an annoyance, but we could well see indies go out of business because of this, where they are delivering stuff that ends up generating considerably less funding than they thought and they don’t have the time or resources to get back up to speed over the rest of the year (or possibly by their Q2 review). Even those of us on profile could face this to an extent, if you’re a traditional “everyone starts in September” type provider, how can you be sure you are on the way to your target, especially with the reintroduction of punitive funding reductions for withdrawals…

We are clearly the education sector that is the best at data, this much we know, so to have our hands tied behind our backs at crucial times like this is incredibly frustrating…

steveh
    Participant

(ha! sorry Caspar, to actually answer your question, we don’t have any 16-18 apps, so no need for an R03 from us, but I wouldn’t fancy my chances if we did, the proxy setting problem in the beta means i’m nowhere near getting access to FIS because our IT department are incredibly wary of opening up the network that much)

Simon France
    Participant

We’re paid on profile and only have a 19+ contract so we don’t need to submit an R03. Boy am I glad of that.

Neither do I have a spare ‘non-business critical’ machine with which to test out FIS – and if I did, like Steve, I really can’t see our ICT company allowing us to run the thing.

We have no real idea where we are in terms of meeting our funding target at the moment. We are doing ‘beer-mat’ calculations which, for me at least, never turn out to be spot-on.

Paul Dallaway
    Participant

We don’t need to submit an R03, but if we did, we would not be able to do so in the current situation. I think submitting a full R04 is going to be problematic – particularly for our subcontracted provision that relies on our providers being able to generate a DB export from the FIS. Like Simon, I don’t have access to a non-business critical machine and I’ve been told that the firewall settings will require a formal change request to receive high level authorisation from our networking team.

steveh
    Participant

The proxy setting thing has to be fixed for the real release, surely? They know that particularly those in Local Government will have a heck of a time if it isn’t…

Martin West
    Participant

More important will ‘THEY’ be ready, what chance now of a fully working FIS, up to date LARS and the portal all being ready in the next week so that returns can be finalised by the 6 Oct.
    Providers do not know what their current funding position is and the EFA (and Government) do not know how many 16-18 Apprentices have started in 2013/14.
    And as for the call to refer this to a higher authority well we all know what will happen as they normally get a knighthood.
    Yes the software at this end is ready and could do a full return if they could only sort LARS out.

Martin West
    Participant

Sorry 6th November 2013

murrayg
    Participant

I rang the Data Service this morning and was advised that a full R03 ILR return is mandatory!!

warrilowk
    Participant

…….can anyone see a 1314 ILR Batch Collection on the OLDC?!
    Kate

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I think that there will not be any 1314 Batch Collection on OLDC until 30th October, or at least that is the inference of the announcements.

However if the R03 Return is mandatory then they will have get their fingers out and supply me with the missing data lookup tables that I have been asking for as otherwise I cannot guarantee the ability to make any R03 Return!

Boy, am I frustrated!!!
    Caspar

jowright
    Participant

According to Issue 180 of Update they have “reviewed the R03 data collection process to give providers more time to submit a valid data file”. Nothing to do with them not being ready!!!

lapsed_user
    Participant

The cavalier way Update 180 refers to giving us more time infuriated me. There are no systems yet! A beta test version of FIS is not a working production version for all users. It simply allows those who have time, to test the Data Service’s systems for them. DES seems to have been abandoned, the replacement OLDC will not be available until the end of the month and with the FIS is still in beta there is now insufficient time to see valid financial figures at the end of the first quarter. This is serious and we are entitled to more information on what happens next and indeed, what is happening now.
    Only once have I got the FIS to install but it reverted to an error situation the next day. I don’t have whole days to spend getting this to work.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I say again – have you informed betasoftwareissues@thedataservice.org.uk of your problems ? If you do not then they will think that everything is working just fine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.