Break in Learning for annual leave

Feconnect has been replaced by ESFA communities.

Feconnect is read only and it is not possible to create or reply to topics or posts. To search feconnect we suggest you use site specific searches. ESFA Communities is now live. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Data issues Break in Learning for annual leave

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Emma M
    Spectator

Hi,

I’ve been asked a question about a BinL for an apprentice going on annual leave for 4 weeks. I’ve used the flow chart in the Funding Rules, and read the guidance a few times and my thinking is no – as:

– It is up to 4 weeks in length
    – It is annual leave

Is this how other people interpret this? I’m worried I’m being a little harsh!

steveh
    Spectator

categorically not a break in learning.

I’m not even sure what would be gained by putting them on one, to be honest?

Ruth CJ
    Spectator

Hello,

That’s definitely not a BIL. Apprenticeship rules expressly say;

A break in learning should not be recorded:
    P250.1 For annual leave, public holidays and short-term absence (up to 4 weeks)

Your scenario is both annual leave and short-term absence, so that’s doubly not eligible.

Why would anyone actively want you to record this as a break?

Martin West
    Spectator

Annual leave, public holidays and short-term absences (up to 4 weeks) must not be recorded as breaks in learning.
    It also indicates this in the flow chart

Emma M
    Spectator

Thank you for confirming. Like I said – that was my feeling but I was getting push back because of this:

A break in learning should not be recorded:
    P250.1 For annual leave, public holidays and short-term absence (up to 4 weeks)

The discussion was around is it allowed for any of these things if they are over 4 weeks. Which I said no to – so I’m glad that my interpretation was correct.

Martin West
    Spectator

Hi Emma,
    Is your interpretation of P250.1 correct as I interpret the (up to 4 weeks) applies to annual leave, public holidays and short-term absence?
    The flow chart indicates that where the break is over 4 weeks irrespective of the reason and this is agreed by both apprentice and employer and there is an intention to return then a break in learning would apply.
    HTH

Emma M
    Spectator

Hi Martin,

We’re an Employer Provider so I’m looking at EP249.1 (which is worded the same). I thought the “up to 4 weeks” applied to short term absences. I assumed that as annual leave is worked into the programme anyway as part of the OTJ calculations. It’s the flow chart that has made me thing that annual leave of over 4 weeks is allowed. This is our first instance of this, so fortunately we haven’t had an opportunity to do this wrong yet. I just want to make sure we do this right.

Martin West
    Spectator

Hi Emma,
    The primary reason for a BIL is to pause drawing down funding where learning is not taking place and maintain the original duration of the Apprenticeship, a break of up to 4 weeks is allowed as this relates to a single funding period but longer than this would require a BIL or withdrawal depending on the circumstances.
    HTH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.