Break in Learning (Levy Apprentice – DAS)

Home Forums Data issues Break in Learning (Levy Apprentice – DAS)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  GnilS 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • gfrederick
    Participant

I have just been informed by the Apprenticeship Service that when a learner is temporarily withdrawn from learning that we should not be pausing the learner on DAS and that we should be stopping them and making a new cohort request once they return.

I questioned that as they are only temporarily withdrawn when creating a new cohort we will get a data mismatch between the new cohort start date and the learners actual original start date to which I was told I should not be putting levy learners on a break and should be withdrawing them and putting them back on as a new episode once they return. I questioned how this would affect retention and success rates to which I was told he did not know the answer but this is how DAS works.

Anybody had any experience with this?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    It has always been the practice that you create a new programme aim when the learner returns from a BIL, this is in effect a new start as far as the levy is concerned and would require a new cohort ref to match the start date of the new Programme aim, levy account and ILR return.
    A BIL is excluded from the QAR success rates.
    HTH

Caz
    Participant

I mucked up with 2 learners on a short 3 month break too. I asked the Employer to ‘pause’ them both, which resulted in all monies for the entire contract year being taken back as at R10.

Martin are you saying we have to completely ‘stop’ the learner on DAS, then start again, like we would if they were a new learner?

I have to get this sorted in R11, as we are several thousand pounds down due to the claw back.

Minefield! 🙁

gfrederick
    Participant

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Caz,
    As there is no documentation on how Employers operate their levy account I am assuming that a BIL is a withdrawal and should be stopped in the levy account from the date the learner went on the break and when they return then it would need a new cohort from the date they return.
    HTH

Caz
    Participant

Thanks Martin – i will give it a go and see what happens…..

Zaheer_Patel
    Participant

Hello,

We currently have a couple of learners on a break in learning – down as paused on the DAS, do we require to stop these and create a new cohort request when they are ready to restart?

Also, does this effect the minimum duration rule, for example: learner undertakes 6 month of learning, then has a break in learning, which results in a stop being placed on the system. Once the learner returns and completes in 7 months. Overall, this learner has completed 13 months, however on the new programme aim created following suspension will have only been on programme for 7 months.Would this cause an error on the system?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    The original advice given by the Apprenticeship Service in the first post was incorrect, when they are ready to restart from the BIL the provider will enter a new record for the remainder of the learning in the ILR and this will trigger the payments from the levy to the Provider to continue, the employer needs to do nothing.
    The original duration will be added to the new duration and this will not cause an error.
    HTH

Zaheer_Patel
    Participant

Thanks Martin,

What would the process be on DAS?

Stop and create a new cohort?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi
    The Employer need take no action in their DAS account, they may pause the record, but this is optional as it will all be triggered from the ILR the provider returns to the ESFA.
    HTH

Zaheer_Patel
    Participant

Hi Martin,

So pausing the learner on the DAS system won’t be an issue from a training provider point of view?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    It the employer does use the pause (I would not recommend it although it is an option) then this will cause a DLOCK error if they do not remove it when the Apprentice restarts and this will cause issues as the provider will not be paid.
    HTH

GnilS
    Participant

There was a webinar 22/01/19 on when to use pause and stop on DAS.

How do providers record a break in learning (for example, long term
    sickness or maternity)?

Providers should:
    • Close the learning aims relating to the period of time before the apprentice went on their break
    • After the apprentice returns from their break open a new set of learning aims relating to the activity and return both sets of
    aims in the ILR. Use a restart indicator on the new learning aims
    • Use the same training and assessment costs on the new set of learning aims as they did on the original ones (no need to
    adjust costs down), and also record them as the same ‘type’ of TNP record
    For example:
    Before break: TNP1 = £2000, TNP2 = £500
    After break: TNP1 = £2000, TNP2 = £500
    • Both periods of ILR activity should match to the same record on the apprenticeship service – there is no need for a new
    record to be entered
    • If the break in learning is recorded retrospectively on the ILR, this could result in a refund of payments (possibly levy funds) –
    even if the employer did not apply a pause on the apprentice record
    More info: paragraph 641 of the Provider Support Manual
    Employers should:
    • If the employer knows an apprentice has gone on a break in learning and they want to ensure they temporarily cease
    payments until the apprentice comes back they can use the pause functionality on the apprenticeship service.
    • The use of a ‘pause’ is optional
    • If the employer is happy for the provider to manage the data they don’t need to take any action. If the break in learning is
    recorded retrospectively on the ILR, this could result in a refund of payments (possibly levy funds) – even if the employer did
    not apply a pause on the apprentice record

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.