Carry over L2 Eng/Maths for apprentices

Home Forums Data issues Carry over L2 Eng/Maths for apprentices

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jaci 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • rwhateley
    Participant

As per funding rules we enrolled a L2 apprentice onto level 2 Eng/Maths having achieved level 1 functional skills. The learner is now going onto a level 3 apprenticeship without having completed L2 Functional Skills (not required for full framework) and I need help in recording the english/maths aims in the ILR against the advanced apprenticeship. Do I withdraw these aims from the intermediate apprenticeship and restart against the advanced or should I carry them through and record against the L3 apprenticeship using the same dates? I hope someone understands my ramble but any help would be appreciated.

Martin West
    Participant

I would assume that these aims should be left open even though the programme aim for the L2 is completed and the learner is progressing to L3.

rwhateley
    Participant

Thanks Martin I will try your suggestion. I think I may be making it more complicated than necessary.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I must wonder how QSR and the like may treat Martin’s suggestion.

Personally I would prefer to get some official guidance on this question from the SFA just in case – is anyone from the SFA watching this thread, please?

HTH,
    Caspar

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Caspar,
    My solution followed the same guidance as given by the SFA as documented for a traineeship.
    Function skills within an Apprenticeship are excluded from the QSR calculations only the Programme aim is included.
    HTH

David Neal
    Participant

Don’t forget to reduce your funding proportion for the Functional Skills in the L3 Apprenticeship.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi David,
    You would only need to do this if you closed and then restarted the FS aims at L2 but this would not be necessary if the original aims were left open.
    The logic behind this is in line with the requirement that the ILR should reflect what has happened in practice and the learner has not withdrawn from the L2 FS aims.
    Alternatively you could consider this a transfer (even though the learner remains on the same aim) and close and restart the aim as part of the Advanced Apprenticeship programme but this is thought unnecessary in this situation.

rwhateley
    Participant

As an update I have left the Functional Skills L2 aims open but on running an ILR it was kicked out as not having a corresponding programme aim. I am in the process of tweeking some of the apprenticeship coding to see if I can get it through the ILR without errors. Unfortunately our ILR data person is off sick at the moment but when I can get another ILR run I will be able to update the results. Many thanks for everyone’s feedback as has been interesting!

SFA STAFF

markshield
    Participant

rwhateley

The functional skill shouldn’t be triggering any validation rules when left open after the programme aim has closed. If you’re getting the error through FIS then please make sure you have the latest component set. But if this is still the case please raise the incident with the service desk and make sure to mention that it needs to come to myself to look at.
    Thanks

Mark Shield
    ILR Specification Team
    Skills Funding Agency

rwhateley
    Participant

Many thanks for your support with this Mark. I am hoping to put through FIS this week and will update you accordingly.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Martin has already stated this, but just for completeness, a definitive answer has now been added to http://feconnect.education.gov.uk/forums/topic/online-qa-on-qsrs-and-minimum-standards/ which states:

“We only measure framework success rates for Apprenticeships.

Higher level Functional Skills (FS) aims would not affect the QSR of an intermediate framework and we do not calculate a separate QSR for them.”

HTH,
    Caspar

Jaci
    Participant

This has confused me………

If you are closing down the IA, but leaving one of the aims open (FS), when codes would you assign to the Programme Aim?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.