Completing apprentice wishes to opt out of EPA

Home Forums Data issues Completing apprentice wishes to opt out of EPA

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Debbie Simpson 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Debbie Simpson
    Participant

An apprentice who has completed all of the Masters requirements now says they do not wish to complete the EPA. How do we stand on this please? What are the implication for the training provider/employer? I am concerned that if one apprentice refuses the EPA it may lead to a rush of similar requests.
    Sorry if this has been asked before – Search keeps timing out.
    Debbie

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Debbie,
    This is similar to other Frameworks and Standards that include a recognised professional qualification where the learner withdraws after certification and does not complete.

The implications for the Provider are that the 20% of funding for the completion payment is withheld/lost where the Apprentice withdraws prior to completing the EPA and that this is reflected as not achieved in the QAR success rates.

This is an issue that the provider should take all steps to avoid by timing when results of qualifications are issued but other than that you can only inform them that the Apprenticeship will not be recorded as achieved on their PLR where they do not undertake the EPA.
    Not a lot of help I know.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

It’s horrible. We’ve had a handful of these. There is so little we can do. We’re not allowed to withhold the qualification certificate as stick, and what’s the carrot? A lot of people don’t value the actual Standard itself, so just can’t be bothered. Meanwhile, we lose money and get withdrawals. Martin’s suggestion of timing things carefully is about all we’ve got.

Debbie Simpson
    Participant

I agree Ruth. I do have sympathy though, the majority of our apprentices are public sector, especially NHS, and not short of stuff to do at the moment. I’m sure they will complete the EPA if they possibly can.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Would we be allowed to impose penalties on the employer if the apprentices remains an employee after the apprenticeship, but can’t/won’t complete the EPA? We have something in our contract that covers a multitude of scenarios. I’m not sure on the exact wording, but the jist is “If, by action or inaction, you cause the College to lose any funding, we will invoice you for the amount we were unable to claim”. It covers where they have insufficient funds, where they don’t pay us, when they stop the DAS record early and won’t fix it etc. Wouldn’t help stats though.

Debbie Simpson
    Participant

Interesting thought, I will have a look at our contract too Ruth – it was based on the UVAC Template so hopefully this is covered similarly. I am more concerned about the stats, but gentle pressure on the employer might help resolve both aspects.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.