Did anyone find a solution to this DLOCK_09? I’ve checked and the ILR start date matches with the TAS one, even checked the ILR extract file and there’s nothing wrong with it. It matches the TAS record so …i’m stumped!
We’ve seen this error when an apprentice has progressed onto a second apprenticeship in the same academic year. The system can’t seem to work out why there are two separate learner records in our ILR data. So it tries to match the wrong ILR data against the wrong DAS record.
The learners in question are on their first apprenticeship with us…i’ve checked the PLR and cant see that they were with any other provider in the same year (although it does seem as though the PLR is only updated annually).
The mismatch report is returning two lines per learner so as though it is reading two records but god knows where from!