Dual Funding? GCSE Resit and Traineeship

Home Forums Data issues Dual Funding? GCSE Resit and Traineeship

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth CJ 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • matkinson1278
    Participant

Hi

I have a learner who achieved a GCSE grade 2 in English Language and is resitting it in the coming months. They have applied for an traineeship, but can they enrol onto the traineeship before they resit or will this be dual funding?

The learner has achieved a grade 5 GCSE English Literature so would meet the condition of funding.

Thanks

Michael

Ruth CJ
    Participant

If they’re 16-19, you just get funded per planned hours, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

If they’re adult, you’ll be funded per qual, so it doesn’t matter that you don’t consider the aims to be part of the same programme I think.

Are you planning on using different funding streams for the two different enrolments? That could be an issue.

matkinson1278
    Participant

Hi Ruth CJ

Should of mentioned in the first post the learner is resitting her GCSE with a local college not ourselves.

We will be delivering the traineeship.

Michael

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Ah, right! Yes, that makes a difference. If they’re an adult, and AEB funded, that’s not an issue. If the student is 16-19, this isn’t something you can do, unless the other college is not claiming funding (which is unlikely). It’s a real shame, as it’s not good for the students in this position. Can you persuade the students to move their GCSE to you? That might be in their best interests either.

16-19 Rules;
    13. Institutions must:
    b. not record as funded those students who are enrolled on study programmes funded by ESFA at other institutions

matkinson1278
    Participant

See below response received from ESFA Business Operations Service Centre;

They can start the traineeship without you enrolling them on the English – the only issue you may have is that the ILR will ask you to identify whether the learner is exempt from the conditions of funding, and until you know the learners resit grade you will be unable to enter this.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I think they’ve got the wrong end of the stick. They’ve assumed you’re asking about Condition of Funding, and have ignored the double funding issue.

Is the student in question going to be AEB or 16-19 funded? If the former, no problem. If the latter, I think you very much do have a problem. I suggest going back to them and quote the 16-19 funding rules I quoted above, and ask them why they’ve advised you that it’s ok to claim 16-19 funding, when you know another provider is claiming 16-19 funding at the same time.

matkinson1278
    Participant

Hi Ruth

After asking for further clarification I received the below from YP Enquiry Service
    Enquiries.EFA@education.gov.uk

Yes it is possible for a student to undertake GCSE resits at one institution and a traineeship at another institution. This would not be classed as double funding unless the student was sitting some of the same courses at both institutions. Our general expectation would be that English and maths, if required, would be part of the traineeship programme and so all delivered by the same provider, however, we recognise that in some circumstances this may not be appropriate.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I give up. The guidance says categorically that you cannot claim 16-19 funding at two institutions at once (irrespective of which aims), then the helpdesk tell you that it doesn’t matter. At least you’ve got it in writing, so if questioned by an auditor, you can show them this. Make sure you keep that email safe somewhere you can find it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.