EDRS – verified

Home Forums Data issues EDRS – verified

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Bishop 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Jennifer Donnellan
    Participant

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can confirm that any EDRS starting with a 1 or 2 need to be verified every 6 months in order to remain valid? I can’t find anything on the EDRS website about this.
    Also, what type of verification is required? There appears to be a ‘verified’ and ‘user verified’ on each record.

thanks for your help!

Jenny

Sue Bishop
    Participant

I can categorically say that I do not validate any EDRS numbers once they are in my ILR !!

Sue

Ceribland
    Participant

The EDRS informed us that we should be verifying any ERN that has not be verified for 6 months plus any ERN starting with a 3 as this is a duplicate record.
    They recently updated their systems and this has caused some problems I understand.
    My colleague sat on the phone with them for several days checking through ERNs that had become invalid without us realising.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

How on earth would anyone know whether ERNs had been “validated” in the last 6 months? This needs raising with ESFA. We don’t need yet another admin burden like that. ESFA have never given us specific advice on ERNs, so they may just say it’s nothing to do with them. I’m not even clear what they use ERNs for (ILR spec says “Enables identification of the employer for funding and assists with labour market intelligence”. The data on the Employer Data Service has always been extremely patchy, so they can’t be doing anything significant with it.

I wouldn’t use an ERN beginning with a 3. Number starting 1 and 2 haven’t been verified at all I’m told, but we’ve always used those anyway. 9 is verified.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Ruth, why wouldn’t you use one beginning with a 3 ? I’ve got a handful of those……. The rest are 1s, 2s and 9s.

As I said, I’m not giving myself yet another admin job to do, I can barely do everything I need to already!

If I have to re-verify the handful of 3s, I’ll do that, but I’ve never had a warning through ILR reports that there is anything wrong with them.

Sue

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I’ve never seen any with a 3, and Ceribland has been told these are duplicates, so I’d just avoid those. It should be easy enough to just get a new one. That’s always the answer I get from the Employer Data Service if I ever have an issue; just get a new ERN. There must be duplicates all over the shop.

The only thing I’ve ever seen ESFA do with ERN verification, is put them on an FRM report where we’ve declared an apprentice to be small employer fully funded, but the ERN suggests the employer is not small. As long as you have a signed declaration from the employer that they are small, you can just ignore that report.

The Employer Data Service data really is awful. For a start, the names of organisations are a mix of registered company names (unique) and trading names (not always unique). If you’ve got several hairdressers with the same trading name, and they’ve been set up on there with their trading name, it links all of them together, which I believe is sometimes why the FRM report thinks they are not small.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Gotcha, I understand now. I’ve also found that instead of the company name the actual EDRS registration will be in the name of the ‘person’ ie sole trader/partnership which has also given us headaches previously. I’ve no issue revalidating the handful of 3s I have, I’ll just add that to the to do list……..

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.