EFA ELIGIBILITY

Home Forums Data issues EFA ELIGIBILITY

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MartinOutlaw 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • lapsed_user
    Participant

One of our Foundation Learning learners has been highlighted on DSAT because he turned 19 on 31st August 2012. However he started the programme in May 12, last contract year. He did however start a qualification within that programme after the 1st August. Is the eligibility rule for this programme on when he starts a qualification, or when he starts the programme. If it is the qualification I think this is a little unfair as Foundation Learning is a progressive programme with learners starting new qualifications as they gain in confidence and ability.

I would be grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this please.

Many thanks

Jackie

dsmithshape
    Participant

Hi Jackie

I’m pretty sure that if a learner turns 19 on or before the 31st August they are not fundable by the EFA at all for that contract year.

This doesn’t suit the Foundation Learning programme where qualifications are added as the learner moves forward, particularly for learning providers who operate on a roll-on roll-off basis and not an academic year basis. I’m struggling with the same problem and I believe the answer is that it becomes funded by the SFA through Adult Learner Responsive funds (if you have a contract for that kind of funding), how you get the MIS to export the information in a way that the LIS and OLDC accepts is another matter! And what you do if you don’t have access to ALR funding I don’t know.

Regards

Darren

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Jackie

Darren is correct in that SFA Progression funding is available to a Learner who is 19 to 23 years old, has a Level 2 entitlement and needs the additional step up from basic skills in order to progress to a full Level 2 and the Provider is assured they can progress to a Level 2, otherwise the provision is co-funded.

This normally enables an easy transition for learners who are with providers who have both ESF and SFA contracts.

Regards

suegar
    Participant

I am in the same boat with 3 learners who started our Foundation Learning programme last year and who have turned 19 whilst on programme . Our Foundation Learning programme is run on a roll on roll off. We have an EFA contract but our SFA contract was merged into a Consortium because of MCV.

Has anybody any ideas about what I can do as I don’t sem to be able to find an answer and the half yearly return is due next week.

Regards

Sue

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sue,

From 2012/12 guidance

For EFA funding it is the learner’s age on 31 August in the relevant funding year.
    To maintain eligibility for funding for individual learners during a learning programme, a wider definition has been agreed with the Skills Funding Agency. For funding eligibility purposes, any learner who was aged 16, 17 or 18 on 31 August in the funding year when they began a programme of study continues to be funded as a 16- to 18-year-old learner. This wider definition ensures that the funding eligibility of a learner does not change if they become 19 years old during their programme. Such learners are funded at 16-18 rates and, if full time, may be funded for the 16-18 entitlement. They do not have to pay tuition fees if they become 19 during their programme, and colleges and providers may continue to claim fee remission. To assist in understanding this paragraph a learning programme is defined in paragraph 143.

143. A learning programme comprises all of a learner’s activities that lead to a set of outcomes agreed with the learner as part of their IAG process. A learning programme may be composed of one or more learning aims and may span more than one funding year. A learning programme will generally be centred around learning aims at a single level, with a minority of, if any, learning aims at a different level being used to support the wider needs of the learner (for example, a GCSE retake in Mathematics would be appropriate for a learner studying non-mathematical A levels). AS and A2 levels in the same subject taken in subsequent years are considered to constitute a single learning programme, whereas progression from GCSEs to A levels would usually constitute two separate learning programmes.

Regards

MartinOutlaw
    Participant

We have the same problem with our FL roll on roll off, 16-18 learners that became 19+ continuing learners in this contract year. In 2011/12 we were told (01/11/11) that 19+ continuning learners needed to be recoded as SFA funded, but with no Adult learner responsive we got no funding for them, I chased it up with the data service all year, and on 31st July I got a call from the EFA and was told to code them back to EFA funded. By which time I had some carrying over into this year. We completed them and moved them on as quickly as possible, but should we have closed them mid programme?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.