Eligibility for funding query

Home Forums Data issues Eligibility for funding query

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  CDC 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Kate
    Participant

Good evening

We have had a learner and employer approach us to query if the learner can start an apprenticeship with us

The learner has been employed and in the UK for 1 year and is originally from Greece, can anyone confirm if they are eligible for funding?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Kate,
    EEA citizens
    P305. An EEA citizen is eligible for funding if they:
    P305.1 are a citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) (including other countries determined to be within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements); and
    P305.2 have been ordinarily resident in the EEA (including other countries determined to be within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements) for at least the previous three years on the first day of the apprenticeship.
    HTH

Gillian2600
    Participant

Hi
    We have an AEB budget for traineeships and adult education local flexibility provision.

We have learners over the age of 24 that have degrees but are now unemployed. Can we still fund them on employability programmes even though they have a higher level qualification?

Thanks in advance

Gillian

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Just following on from this thread on EEA citizens. Our local authority has sent a letter to its schools, asking them to divulge which staff members are EEA workers, not UK citizens. I’m guessing they are doing this to be prepared for whatever happens on March 29th, but it set me thinking. Scenario: an EEA learner meets the eligibility criteria at the start of a programme, and they remain employed with their current employer. The eligibility then changes – can that learner remain on programme? In my heart I don’t think the ESFA would disadvantage the learner, but just wondering if we should be prepared for a number of learners no longer being eligible?

Regards,

Sue

Gillian2600
    Participant

I am very much new to AEB and the funding rules but I would have thought that it would be similar to asylum seekers…. My understanding is that if they are eligible at the start of their course then they can complete the course, even if their circumstances change?

Happy to be corrected!
    Gillian

CDC
    Participant

As it stands if they are eligible at the start then it’s for the duration of the aim / programme etc, irrespective of whether their eligibility changes.

But who knows whether that rule will change at some point? so in that sense currently eligible / fundable learners may become non-fundable for future aims.

(it’s hard to imagine there would be any sound basis to apply a rule change retrospectively, once that learning agreement is signed it would be a ‘contract’ under the published rules at that point in time)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.