Eligibility Query – Ordinarily Resident

Home Forums Data issues Eligibility Query – Ordinarily Resident

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  steveh 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Pirireis74
    Participant

Hoping someone here can assist.

I have a candidate for a Levy-funded Apprenticeship whose eligibility has been questioned.

She has spent 10 months of the last three years outside the EU / EEA working and travelling on a sabbatical in Australia, returning in August 2018. She is a British passport holder, and is married to a member of the military. Her husband has been UK based for the past three years. She was fully employed here before travelling and has been in full employment since her return.

As far as I can tell she is Ordinarily Resident – she has the right to live and work in the UK and her sabbatical away should not affect this. Her status as a family member of an individual in the armed forces also supports this (he would be her ‘principle’). However, another Manager in my organisation believes she is not eligible.

Can anyone assist please? Is there a stated limit on how long someone can spent away from the UK / EU / EEA before their status under the Ordinarily Residence rule is affected?

Thanks in advance.

steveh
    Participant

Somewhat inevitably, there isn’t a hard and fast line, but gap year/travelling has always been assumed not to affect someone’s status as “Ordinarily Resident” on the basis that they were always intending to come back.

I’d be 100% happy to fund this learner (and I don’t think her husband needs to be invoked?).

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Just to say, I agree with Steve on this.

There’s a bit in the apprenticeships funding rules that says;

Ordinarily resident. For funding purposes, a person who normally lives in the country, is allowed to live there by law, and return there after temporary trips outside the country. Temporary absences from a country due to the learner or a relevant family member working or travelling abroad would be discounted when considering ordinary residency.

I never understand why the residency rules for ESFA aren’t all identical between the 16-19, AEB and Apprenticeship rules. You have to scrabble around them all trying to work out the rules.

Pirireis74
    Participant

Many thanks steveh and Ruth CJ for your input, is much appreciated.

Had thought I was starting to go a bit mad, but after 20 years doing this it appears I may know something after all.

Pirireis74
    Participant

Many thanks steveh and Ruth CJ for your input, is much appreciated.

Had thought I was starting to go a bit mad, but after nearly 20 years doing this it appears I may know something after all.

Pirireis74
    Participant

I thought I would publish this here – the same query with the same info went to the ESFA service desk – below is the ‘official’ response.

The current (2018/19) guidance states that to use apprenticeship levy funding or government co-investment funds, the user must have ‘right of abode’ status under United Kingdom immigration law, which gives an unrestricted right to live in the United Kingdom; and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of the apprenticeship and have the right to work in the UK.

Ordinarily resident – For funding purposes, a person who normally lives in the country, is allowed to live there by law, and return there after temporary trips outside the country. Temporary absences from a country due to the learner or a relevant family member working or travelling abroad would be discounted when considering ordinary residency – this criteria is left to the provider; however, abscences of longer than 6 months might be considered non-temporary, at the providers discretion.

Please document your decision in the Apprentice’ evidence file.

steveh
    Participant

Thanks for this, although it’s interesting to note that the bit after the dash about 6 months is editorialising and does not appear in the official description of Ordinarily Resident…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.