Employer Ref Numbers..?

Home Forums Data issues Employer Ref Numbers..?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • Slippy
    Participant

Hi

What are the consequences of changing the Employer ID at the next maytas/ILR load-up?
    We’re arranging EPA for one of our apprentices – he works in a school that is part of a MAT so, in effect he has two ERN numbers (one for the school & one for the MAT). We should be using the MAT ERN number but we’ve been using the school ERN number (in error).
    I’m assuming that if we chage the number at the next ILR load-up it will create an error.
    How do we get around this?
    many thanks for your help.

Slippy

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    The guidance from the ILR PSM is:
    244. A valid Employer identifier from the Employer Data Service (EDS) must be obtained if the apprentice is employed at a school or academy.
    245. Please use the Employer identifier of the school if this is the learner’s place of work and not the Employer identifier as the local authority.

Not sure if the same applies to MAT as I do not recognise the acronym
    HTH

Slippy
    Participant

Thanks Martin but I’m still confused. My understanding is that we should be using the Multi Academy Trust Employer Identifier (as we have been doing for other apprentices employed in various schools that are under the MAT banner) so I think we should change that detail on Maytas/ILR submission – but this will create an error will it not? Or does it matter now (as he is nearly at his end point assessment?

Thanks again,

Slippy

Ruth CJ
    Participant

We always use the ERN of the site at which they work. If it were a national retail chain, we wouldn’t use the head office ERN, we’d use the ERN for the branch at which they worked. I’d say the same goes for MATs.

What makes you think you’ve been using the school ERN in error?

If you just switched it now (though I don’t think you should), I can’t think of any errors it would cause. ERNs don’t seem to be linked to anything much.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    If it is not currently causing any issues and you have been receiving funding I would not advise changing it.
    Ruth is correct you should be using the site ERN.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Martin – Where do we get that from? I’ve always “known” that the ERN represents the site, not the employing organisation as a whole, but I can’t find any current guidance to that effect. The guidance you pasted above does clarify for schools, but not other organisations.

Martin West
    Participant

Ruth,
    Did you misunderstand what I said as I only agreed with you?

Slippy
    Participant

Many thanks Ruth.

Slippy

Slippy
    Participant

Many thanks Martin

jessicar
    Participant

@Ruth Its in the ERN User guide about using the ERN of the site

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Martin – I think you’ve misunderstood me 🙂 I understand that you were agreeing, I just can’t find any guidance to back up what we both agree is correct. I think most of us “know” this is the case, but where did we get that from? Old guidance? Mass hallucination?

@jessicar – I checked that yesterday, and I don’t think that’s clear either. Also, that guidance quotes the 2012/13 ILR, so I’m not sure I’d trust it.

Slippy
    Participant

Slippy

Hi. Any further clarification on this? Ultimately, Would it be such a sin if it was recorded as either? (the actual school site number or the multi academy trust the school is part of)??,

many thanks,

Slippy

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I think you’d need to ask the ESFA what the impact would be. The ILR Specification describes the Reason Required for this field as “Enables identification of the employer for funding and assists with labour market intelligence.”

I’ve never seen it impact on funding. It pops up in the FRM reports suggesting you’ve got the number of employees wrong, but they don’t actually remove funding as a result.

Slippy
    Participant

OK. Many thanks Ruth.

Slippy

Martin West
    Participant

Found this in an 2015 post:
    Thank you for all the responses – I received a response from the EDS which confirms the above, i.e. each site requires an EDS number

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.