English and Maths for 19+ Continuing Students

Home Forums Data issues English and Maths for 19+ Continuing Students

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth CJ 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Matt
    Participant

With regards to this bit from the Condition of Funding page:

19+ continuing students
    From 2017 to 2018, 19+ continuing students are all funded through the standard ESFA 16 to 19 allocations process. The condition of funding in maths and English did not apply to 19+ continuing students in FE colleges and independent learning providers before that, and does not apply to these students in 2017 to 2018 or 2018 to 2019 either. We will review the application of the condition of funding to these students for future years.

…does the English and Maths Report we get from FIS/Hub actually exclude these students? To me it seems not as I have some 19+ continuing students on this report that it thinks should be doing English/Maths.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Hello,

All our 19+ continuing students do exist in the English and maths report, but where they don’t yet have the GCSE and aren’t studying it, it says “Condition of Funding Does Not Apply”. Where they already have the GCSE, or don’t but are studying something, it reports the usual phrases.

Matt
    Participant

Based on the bit I quoted from CoF page, I would have thought the report would just say “Condition of Funding Does Not Apply” for all the “19+ continuing students” cohort, regardless of what their prior English/maths grades were or if they happened to be enrolled on a English/maths GCSE.

For us, none of our “19+ continuing students” cohort in the report have been labelled with “Condition of Funding Does Not Apply”. Do you need to explicitly flag these as exempt in some way? None of ECF/MCF codes would seem to be relevant for this.

Or perhaps this report just doesn’t reflect the ESFA’s rules?

Ruth CJ
    Participant

If they’re not failing CoF, I don’t really mind what it says. I do agree that I would expect them all to either not be in the report, or say “Condition of Funding Does Not Apply”.

It just did it automatically, no special code. All the 19+ students on funding 25, who don’t have an EHCP, and don’t meet CoF come out as “Condition of Funding Does Not Apply”. Our 19+ continuers all have start dates in the previous year, I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Weirdly, we do have one learner, who on that report is labelled as “19+ Continuing Students (excluding EHCP)”, but is coming out as “Doesn’t have English, Not Studying English”. I haven’t queried it as we’re well within our 5% tolerance, so it doesn’t matter very much.

Matt
    Participant

Thanks Ruth… our English and maths team are aiming for 100% compliance on CoF, so are getting twitchy about these few blips on this report. I’ll tell them to filter-out that cohort and I’ll raise it with the ESFA.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Isn’t that a bit of a disheartening target? We always have a handful who don’t meet CoF for really good reasons, most often mental health related. Aiming for 100% compliance would not be doing the right thing by some of our students.

If you get a response from the ESFA, I’d love to hear the answer. I’ll keep an eye on our unexpected case.

felstead
    Participant

English & Maths exceptions: The web briefing re 19+ continuing students has not been updated for 2019/20. I did log a query with the ESFA but no reply yet. Has anyone a definitive answer?
    In the absence of updated guidance I’m assuming last year’s condition is preserved. This is the current text:
    From 2017 to 2018, 19+ continuing students are all funded through the standard ESFA 16 to 19 allocations process. The condition of funding in maths and English did not apply to 19+ continuing students in FE colleges and independent learning providers before that, and does not apply to these students in 2017 to 2018 or 2018 to 2019 either. We will review the application of the condition of funding to these students for future years.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Yes, I noticed recently that they haven’t yet updated this bit for 19/20. I just assume it’s stayed the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.