ERN validation

Home Forums Data issues ERN validation

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Bishop 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • Ceribland
    Participant

We recently tried to search an ERN number that we had previously found on the EDRS site and it returned no results.
    EDRS explained that ERNs beginning with 1 or 2 have been externally verified and need to be validated every 6 months or they are removed from their records. The process of validation changes the number to one starting with 9 (which indicates internal verification apparently).
    We have been instructed to validate every employer they use if the ERN on their record starts with 1 or 2. As we did not realise this until now, over half of our current apprentices have ERNs that are no longer valid. Validating them all now seems a huge endeavour- especially as they are being really picky in terms of the employees on site numbers. EDRS also seem reluctant to approach employers for confirmation given the Covid situation.
    Has anyone else been verifying ERNs that start with 1 and 2?
    Ceri

Sue Bishop
    Participant

No, but I noticed that some had changed and started looking into it. I asked the service desk what the implications were if I needed to change an EDRS number, and they stated ‘none’, that we could just change them if necessary and there would be no error/warning.

My only issue with changing it is that the learner record on any EPAO portal also needs changing, as well as CRM systems so part of me thinks that since there is no ILR validation of the EDRS then why even bother?

It’s OK if you only have a few employers, but if you don’t……..

Jaci
    Participant

Wow. Seriously!

We have problem getting them verified when we have a discrepancy in number of employees as it is and often get the automated response saying they have tried to contact the employer but have been unsuccessful and resubmit again. Which is very strange as our employers always pick up when we call! But, we have now given up even trying and just accept in on the data mismatch report.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Jaci do you just leave the generic 99999…. on your ILR?

Just curious…..:)

Sue

Jaci
    Participant

Hi Sue, No we put the actual number in

robS4S
    Participant

the 9999999 only works for three months(from the start of programme) before the validation rules will no longer accept uploaded ILR records with it.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

That’s my understanding too, Rob, but I know that they are re-validating some and so there would be a difference in what is on EDRS portal and what is on the ILR. If there is no ERN validation from the ILR, you could in theory put any old nine digit number in!

Sue

Ceribland
    Participant

UPDATE
    We have since been informed that an update to the EDRS system has made loads of ERNs invalid. We’re working with the EDRS to validate the ones that we have identified.
    It is a slow process of reading out the 300+ invalid numbers to them over the phone. They are looking into a quicker way.
    They said that numbers beginning with 3 will always need to be verified as they are duplicates. Other ERNs should be verified before use if the last verification was over 6 months ago.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Like we haven’t got enough to do……

Judy M
    Participant

Apologies this is slightly at a tangent to the original post – but can anyone help me assist a new employer to find their ERN? They seem unable to locate it on the Apprenticeship Service -is it there and if so, could anyone offer me specific directions please!

Many thanks, Judy

Sue Bishop
    Participant

They won’t find it on the AS Judy. It’s not usual for the employer to obtain this number, it is the provider who does so – from the link below:

https://edrs.education.gov.uk/search/lsc/

I’m wondering (if they are on the AS and looking for a number) whether they are looking for their HMRC Gateway number and not the ERN after all?

Sue

robS4S
    Participant

the employer should not have access to the https://edrs.education.gov.uk/ but you can use their Companies house number in the CRO field. Or follow the instructions to get a new one created. https://edrs.education.gov.uk/search/lsc/add.aspx they will contact the employer directly and get the record created.

Judy M
    Participant

Thanks Sue and Rob, that’s really helpful.

Thanks!

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Do you know what, Rob, I never knew that about the CRO number – thanks for that tip – every day’s a school day, eh?

Sue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.