ESFA Information Exchange

Home Forums Data issues ESFA Information Exchange

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Shelagh1 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

  • Shelagh1

    Adult and Community Learning Provision for our Local Authority has not previously been requested to use the ESFA Information Exchange as I understood this to be for schools etc., but as it’s all combined, do we need to upload this. I am the superuser and use the Hub, SFS etc etc etc, but don’t have access to the ESFA Information Exchange. I have put a request on the system for information.




    Hi Shelagh

    I was looking at this the other day (because I was also confused!) and I think there’s only very specific circumstances when it needs to be returned. Annex 1 says:

    Any funding received by the local authority from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) relating to adult education budget, 16 to 18 traineeship, 16 to 18 apprenticeship, adult apprenticeship, new apprenticeship starts from 1st May 2017 relating to non-levy and levy funds, for subsequent transfer to local authority controlled learning providers and maintained school sixth forms was accurately paid in full to them.

    (my emphasis) So, if an LA doesn’t transfer any funding to other entities they control, I don’t think it needs to be returned? Quite how they define an “Adult Education Centre” is vague, to say the least though…

    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  steveh. Reason: spelling


    Hi Steve

    It’s all very confusing. Annex B states:

    B. I certify that to the best of my knowledge and belief during the period from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018:

    • No funding was received by the local authority from ESFA for subsequent transfer to local authority controlled learning providers and maintained school sixth forms.

    So this is where you would indicate your tick then, if you did indeed need to return it. However, because I don’t have this access and never have had it, does make me think that we don’t need to return it.


    Paul Dallaway

    It is confusing. I contacted our CDS advisor about it but they weren’t aware of the return and advised me to submit a query via EFA portal – I think that in itself is quite telling.

    As the adult learning service in the council We’ve never had to use the Information Exchange either although other teams in the LA do have to use it.

    My query was based on needing, as a LA, to give both options so which one takes priority. Like Shelagh, our team would select option B as we have no contact with maintained sixth forms or LA controlled learning providers. We’d then need to get it signed off by our CFO and get someone from schools data team to upload.

    However as a LA, we do get money from the Agency to distribute to school sixth forms (significantly more than our Service’s AEB grant) so would have to declare option A that it is redistributed. My initial thought were that the school grant determines the correct response, but this wasn’t helped by the link in the guidance going to the 1617 allocation spreadsheet that only has our AEB allocation (not the sixth form one). I’m still waiting for response.



    I have heard nothing from the request I put into the Information Exchange. My previous accountant has said that we completed these and emailed them in the past and we would have indicated B as our response. However our present accountant in the LA reads this differently and I have left it with him to decide and also to submit. He and I don’t have the access, so our response has been submitted by one of the accountants responsible for the schools 6th form funding who has access to this Information Exchange website. This clearly says to me that there is no clarity (ironic use of the word clearly). The documents for guidance are also getting more convoluted, don’t get me started.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.