FIS – Perform Funding Calculations

From Thursday 10 December, feconnect will be replaced by ESFA Communities.

Feconnect is being replaced by a more robust, accessible service. ESFA Communities is now live and so feconnect will be read only from Thursday 10 December 2020. From this date it will not be possible to create or reply to topics or posts. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Data issues FIS – Perform Funding Calculations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rose-K 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • jcunningham
    Participant

Hello

anyone else’s FIS failing to complete this procedure? The error details show –

Execute the UpfrontDVs Rulebase
    – Task Started
    – Task Error
    – Task Error

John

Stuart Mitchell
    Participant

Is your file very large? FIS fails to calculate funding for our OLASS file because it can’t handle files of that size (currently 400Mb). I’ve been told pretty bluntly that the FIS developers either cannot or will not bother fixing this issue, so I’m just going to have to lump it. The only way I can calculate funding in FIS and get a full export is to split the file in two, process each half separately, then merge the two exports myself.

Sometimes the funding calculation fails even with my split files, though usually I can get it to work by running the import/validation task on its own, closing FIS, then re-opening and running the funding calculation on its own. So if you have a large file, I would recommend you try that first.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi John,
    I have had a similar error ‘FIS Binary task error code 0008’ and FIS does not give any indication for the cause but I found that my error was caused by an error in the updated LARS data set.
    The only way I could find the error was to keep splitting the ILR file.
    Unlike Start my files are only 40Mb.

jcunningham
    Participant

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your invaluable advice (as always). I broke it down by funding stream and discovered the error was in the advanced apprentices. Then I had to break it down to each framework and once I found out the offending framework I had to go through each learner to find the error. To my surprise, I discovered that the issue causing the error was nothing new but something that was previously a standard error reported in the Rules Violations Report!

John

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I have a rhetorical question – is the error experienced by John really something that used to be picked up by FIS and reported as an ordinary data error by FIS? If so then what has changed? Whilst this occasion within this FeConnect thread appears to be isolated to John, have the Authorities become aware of anything similar from any other Providers?

In fact would it help the FIS developers to have a copy of John’s problem file in order to test it to see if there is an inadvertent gremlin crept into the FIS logic that created the error that John reports here, but that really shouldn’t happen?

Anyone like Trevor watching this thread, please?

And another rhetorical question – whatever happened to “reducing the burden on Providers”? Stuart’s posting above stating that the FIS developers are refusing to address a very real issue is quite unbelievable. Whilst Stuart’s workaround is cunning, why must that burden fall on the Provider? Are all other Providers in that position as clever at Stuart and Martin in being able to split up their files?

HTH,
    Caspar

jcunningham
    Participant

Hello Caspar

I posted the file to the Hub to see if it encountered the same problem and sure enough it did. However, I was contacted late yesterday afternoon by someone from the SFA who had analysed the problem and they are going to re-write the validation rules.

John

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Hi John,

That is very good news that something proactive has been done. But for you, we would never have known.

Many thanks,
    Caspar

Rose-K
    Participant

Hi,
    Any idea what causes this error in FIS ?

Line=2|Property=2|Message=Could not find schema information for the element ‘ESFA/ILR/2019-20:Message’.|

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    Looks like you are either loading a 19/20 xml file into 20/21 FIS or the 20/21 xml file header has not been updated to Message xmlns=”ESFA/ILR/2020-21″
    HTH

Rose-K
    Participant

Thanks Martin,
    It is working now -I was Loading 10/20 file into 20/21.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.