FS exemptions

Home Forums Data issues FS exemptions

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Bishop 2 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi All

I’ve received an email from ACE today stating that the Federation have decided that L1 and L2 certs in Adult Literacy and Numeracy are now acceptable as exemptions. How can the goalposts keep changing like this? These weren’t exemptions for key skills, only for the test aspect and the learner had to complete the KS portfolio in order to achieve the overarching certificate. Not only that, but this ruling now applies to all starts from September 2018, so are we supposed to go back and check every learner file to see who has these certificates that we told them would not exempt them from the FS but now they do??

Aaarrrggghhh……..and then have to end said learning aims in the ILR.

Give me strength

helen1
    Participant

The message said:
    We have been made of aware of a recent update to the list of acceptable English and Maths qualifications within Apprenticeshi frameworks. The updated document was published by the ESFA on 1st Nov.

Has anyone got a link to the updated document as I have had a search and can’t find it.

Paul L
    Participant

helen1
    Participant

Thanks Paul L. This is timely as I am just in the middle of collating prior attainment for our new cohort starting shortly.

AlisonBlack
    Participant

Hi

Just wondering if we need to No-show learners who can now evidence this qual as an exemption or if we can just withdraw them from the date this new exemption came into play (1/11/2019)?

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Alison

I would do exactly as if a learner presented me with a certificate late into programme – end the learning aim on that date.

Sue

liamryan
    Participant

Where do you think this leaves us with Early Years Educator Apprenticeships? Adult Literacy and Numeracy might be proxies in the apprenticeship but they aren’t on the list of acceptable Maths and English qualifications required to be an Early Years Educator.

Liam

Sue Bishop
    Participant

It’s been a couple of years since the requirement for EYE apprentices to have GCSEs A-C was removed from the framework. Since then, if a learner had an exemption in line with the SASE list, they got their overarching EYE apprenticeship certificate. If that isn’t acceptable to the SSC or Ofsted, I would be challenging them.

Or are you talking about EYE workers, not apprentices?

Sue

liamryan
    Participant

The problem is that the EYE Maths and English acceptable qualifications are not in line with the SASE list. They are on a separate list which doesn’t include adult literacy and numeracy. There will now be an assumption by learners (apprentices and others) and employers that Adult literacy/numeracy certificates convey competence when they don’t.

In addition, I don’t think that you would be able to fund an apprentice to undertake FS level 2 if they already had adult literacy/numeracy as a proxy.

Liam

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Liam

There’s a bigger discussion here. The April 2019 EYE standard allows for apprentices with an EHCP to be considered ready for EPA if they have E3 Maths and English; it would appear that one department is not talking to the other. I suspect that the EYFS acceptable list will be amended in line with SASE acceptable alternatives to GCSE.

The adult literacy and numeracy quals come in both L1 and L2, but you’re right, if they hold a L2 literacy or numeracy they would not be eligible for funding to undertake L2 FS. The ramifications of that decision at this current time mean that the learner could not be counted in ratios (according to the EYFS document). This is the bigger discussion……..

Sue

sambern
    Participant

Does anyone know where this was announced by the ESFA? I can’t see it in the updates for FE from the last few weeks?

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Sam

It wasn’t announced by the ESFA, but came to light from a notification from ACE (who had been alerted by a provider). The exemptions document was published on 1st November. I guess we should have all had our crystal balls handy!

Sue

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.