FTE For withdrawn students who didn't return

Home Forums Data issues FTE For withdrawn students who didn't return

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joannab 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • Claire_UoB
    Participant

We’re returning data for the HE ILR.

We have a learner who suspended studies in 2017/18 and didn’t return in 2018/19 and has no intention of resuming studies. I’ve tried returning them with the end date in 2017/18 (that works fine) but their FTE is 0. However, I can’t return a value of 0 for the FTE even though that is what it is! Any suggestions?

Thanks

steveh
    Participant

just leave it as it was in 17/18 I reckon? The data will all sort itself out when they combine the ILRs for the HEIFIS data.

Claire_UoB
    Participant

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately we don’t do a HEIFIS return because we’re an HE institution, not FE, so our apprenticeships are recorded in HESES and HESA.

joannab
    Participant

Is this for someone studying a degree apprenticeship standard? If so as an HEI you don’t need to return the HE data set at all in your ILR. The OfS take all the stuff you would normally put in the HE data set from your student return and not the ILR.

Are you using Z codes or your own institutional learning aims?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  joannab.

Claire_UoB
    Participant

Hi Joanna. Yes, this is someone studying a degree apprenticeship standard, but if I don’t put the HE data into the ILR the learners become invalid.

At the moment we’re using Z codes for the component aims but will be moving to our own LA’s once they’ve come through.

joannab
    Participant

The Z codes are probably why you are forced to put in the HE dataset. Once you get your own aims you won’t have that pain anymore!

You might want to ask the OfS how to approach it. I assume you’ll be returning the withdrawn student in your HESA return as dormant for this year so that you can close the record? If the OfS are going to take all the info from your HESA return it probably doesn’t matter what you put in the ILR, so you could put in the minimum of 0.1.

Claire_UoB
    Participant

I’ve sent an email through the the ESFA support desk.

We’ve literally just had a discussion around the Z codes and how they must be identifying the need for the HE data.

Your assumption is right; in fact they’ll go through with a reduced return indicator and won’t even need the FTE on there! I’ve considered the 0.1 option, but then we’re going to be sending mismatched data to the OfS – a null value on the HESA return and 0.1 via the ILR – which could cause us issues in the future.

joannab
    Participant

Hi Claire, I’d be inclined to check with the OfS as well (you’ll probably hear back from them sooner anyway). I asked the OfS something about this a year or so ago (verbally, so nothing in writing unfortunately) and they said “we don’t use HEI ILR data in any way” so if they are identifying you by UKPRN they you’re probably fine to have a mismatch.

If they are making the assumption that HEIs won’t be submitting the HE dataset and using that as the sole way to prevent double counting they might currently be thinking you have more students than you do. If they are doing some kind of data matching a mismatch might cause a problem as well.

I’d be interested to know the answer! Even without the HE dataset it is really hard to get the ILR and all the HESA returns matching perfectly (we use separate systems), so if the OfS really don’t care what’s in the ILR it would be great to not have to do quite so much data matching and clean up.

Claire_UoB
    Participant

Hi Joanna

I’ll definitely contact OfS and I’ll get back to you.

Claire_UoB
    Participant

I’ve now been in touch with OfS and they couldn’t help – they just came back with the response that we can’t put a zero load in! However, we’ve now found a way of not returning any of the HE data in the ILR, so we’re going to go with that.

joannab
    Participant

Sounds like the best way forward!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.