Full-Time to Part-Time Learner

Feconnect has been replaced by ESFA communities.

Feconnect is read only and it is not possible to create or reply to topics or posts. To search feconnect we suggest you use site specific searches. ESFA Communities is now live. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Open Data Full-Time to Part-Time Learner

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Savage 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Savage
    Spectator

Good morning

I have a learner who is going from 30 to 27 working hours per week. They have completed just over a month of their apprenticeship (they started at the end of October).

I have read the guidance and know I need to contact the employer to make sure OTJ training can still be delivered within the new working hours, and I will copy in the programme team to make sure delivery does not need to be adjusted.

How do I work out what their new OTJ hours are, and if I need to extend the planned end date of their apprenticeship? They are currently due to complete in April 2022.

This is the first apprentice I’ve had where their hours have decreased after their start date, so guidance would be appreciated

Thank you

Martin West
    Spectator

Hi,
    You do not need to recalculate the OTJ training hours, but you may need to extend the duration in the commitment statement only but not in the ILR as this must not be changed.
    HTH

Savage
    Spectator

Thank you for coming back to me Martin.

How would I work out if the duration needs to be extended in the commitment statement?

Martin West
    Spectator

Hi,
    See the following guidance from the funding rules.
    P311 If there is a change of circumstance during the programme, in relation to the working hours of the apprentice, you must discuss and agree, with the employer and apprentice, if this change has a material impact on the current training plan.
    P312 You must document this discussion, which must include:

P312.1 Whether the apprentice can continue to study for the same volume of off-the-job training hours per week;
    P312.2 Whether off-the-job training can still be delivered within the new working hours of the apprentice and
    P312.3 Whether the ability of the apprentice to undertake end-point assessment is impacted.
    P312.4 Whether the programme is being changed as a result of this discussion.

P313 Where all parties agree that there is no material impact on the current training plan, the main provider:
    P313.1 Must not amend the apprenticeship documentation (apprenticeship agreement, commitment statement, contract for services) or the ILR

P314 Where all parties agree that there is a material impact on the current training plan, the main provider:
    P314.1 Must agree with the employer and apprentice how the change impacts on the duration.
    P314.1.1 If moving from full-time to part-time, please see paragraph P41;
    P314.1.2 If moving from part-time to full-time, the programme must still meet the minimum duration and off-the-job training requirements.

P314.2 Must work with the employer to extend the apprenticeship agreement.
    P314.3 Must amend the apprenticeship documentation (commitment statement, contract for services) to outline the new expected end date.
    P314.3.1 The off-the-job training hours that were agreed at the beginning of the programme do not change (unless, as part of the discussion, it is also agreed that additional training is appropriate because of the change of circumstance).
    P314.4 Must not amend the ILR (the planned learning end date on the ILR does not change once it is submitted (with the exception of a data input error at the beginning of the programme).

P41 Where a part-time working pattern is needed, you must agree with the employer and the apprentice the extended apprenticeship duration. You must extend the minimum duration using the following formula:
    P41.1 12 x 30/average weekly hours = new minimum duration in months; or
    P41.2 52 x 30/average weekly hours = new minimum duration in weeks
    HTH

Savage
    Spectator

Thank you Martin, the calculation at the end really helps!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.