Functional Skills exemption evidence

Home Forums Data issues Functional Skills exemption evidence

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Kelly
    Participant

Hello

Can someone tell me who has the final call when it comes to Functional Skills exemption evidence?

Back in the day of frameworks it used to be ACE that would make that decision but for frameworks ACE tell us to contact the ESFA for guidance.

We have a learner with a Scottish English qualification, EPAO said its okay but the qualification doesn’t appear on the ESFA 2020 exemption list.

Can we exempt them if the EPAO say its ok?

Chloe
    Participant

I am also interested in knowing the answer to this.

Martin West
    Participant

What is the Scottish English qualification?

Kelly
    Participant

The certificate states its a Scottish Certification of Education issued in 1986. Grade is stated as “ordinary” and award level as 3. I asked the learner if he could identify the type of qualification from the list of Scottish quals that are on the ESFA exemption list but he said he couldn’t, he thinks its because its an old qual.

Problem I have now is NCFE (EPAO) told the subcontractor they would accept the evidence and now the learner is doing cartwheels as he didn’t want to do the English exam.

Martin West
    Participant

The Scottish Certificate of Education is not listed and generally would not be acceptable but if it is ok with the EPAO (and the ESFA) then the following from the guidance would still apply.
    ESFA funded apprenticeship providers must satisfy themselves that the apprentice can practically demonstrate the appropriate level of English and maths.
    If you can confirm this with assessment evidence this should be sufficient for the ESFA.

Kelly
    Participant

Thanks Martin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.