Functional Skills ILR assistance

Home Forums Data issues Functional Skills ILR assistance

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth CJ 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • Lesann
    Participant

Hi

Any help gratefully received:

If a learner is on the ILR for an intermediate level apprenticeship whether Framework or Standard and they attain Level 1 Functional Skills, they work towards but don’t manage to pass Level 2 before either Gateway or PED what happens to these aims on the ILR? Do the learners stay in learning until they do achieve? or do the learners get withdrawn?

If the learner gets withdrawn from the Functional Skills at Level 2 (under their intermediate) what happens on the ILR when/if they progress onto an Advanced App and need to attain the elusive Level 2?

Many thanks

Lesann

Spats
    Participant

If achievement of the L2 FS aim isn’t a requirement of the apprenticeship programme, then you’d record it as a withdrawal on the ILR.

If the learner subsequently progresses onto another apprenticeship, you’d put the L2 onto the ILR as a component of that new apprenticeship and record a funding adjustment against the aim to take account of the funding already received for it on the previous episode.

jaxrees01
    Participant

Hi there,

Wonder if you can help me?

New rule in May 18 that learners must be doing L2 F/Skills, if they have come out at L1 in diagnostics and Initial Assessments, even if they do not have Level 1 Functional Skills, so if they fail the Level 2 test, can we then draw down money for Level 1, then progress to Level 2?

Many thanks

Jax

Spats
    Participant

You can work the learner towards L1 from the start if you have sufficient evidence to prove that L2 isn’t a realistic proposition for them, but if their initial diagnostic results show that they’re already working at L1 you might be kind of stuck with having to plug away at the L2.

I don’t know if you could put them through diagnostic a second time to see if the first was a weird fluke that didn’t accurately reflect their real level of existing knowledge – might be dependent on how badly they failed the L2. I don’t think we’d be doing that as a matter of course, though, only in very, *very* particular circumstances – if you were to do it for every learner who failed their L2 you’d probably be on a hiding to nothing in the event of an inspection or audit. In most situations like that I suspect that we’d keep the learner on L2 and just have their tutor give them additional support on areas of weakness that were identified via the failed L2 attempt.

(edit): As ever with these things, though, this is just what we’d do and I’m in no way guaranteeing it’s totally correct. One of the biggest problems with the current set of rules around apprenticeship delivery is that they’re probably fine in theory, but not particular awesome in practical terms – there’s little appreciation of the practical or human issues surrounding this stuff. It’s surprisingly difficult at times to balance the needs and best interests of individual learners with the demands of the funding rules.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Spats.

jaxrees01
    Participant

Thank you for that Spats, my colleagues are telling me that there is an ILR code to enter onto Winpics to prevent money from being drawn down onto an open F/skill aim, do you know anything about this?

Sorry to be a pain!

Jax

Spats
    Participant

Changing the funding model to 99 and leaving the source of funding field empty should stop an aim from generating funding.

jaxrees01
    Participant

Thanks very much Spats.

Jax

Ruth CJ
    Participant

For funding stream 35, the Provider Support Manual says;

498. Where a learner achieves their framework programme but is continuing with level 2 functional skills (having progressed from level 1 during the apprenticeship), the programme aim should be closed with an Outcome of ‘Achieved’ along with the competency and knowledge aims as detailed above. The level 2 functional skills aims can remain open and should continue to be recorded until they are completed.

and

513. If the apprentice is continuing with level 2 functional skills that they started during the Intermediate-level apprenticeship, then the learning aim records for the functional skills do not need to be closed or amended. The Programme type, Framework code and Apprenticeship pathway fields will remain the same.

I’m not clear whether this applies to funding stream 36 or not. I should ask the Service Desk. It seems unfair to get a withdrawal when the student is clearly continuing with the aim.

jaxrees01 – We were audited on apprentices, and the auditor was super strict on the diagnostics. If we had diagnostics showing a student was working at L1 already, or we had no diagnostic evidence, and we’d enrolled them on L1 FS, they made us remove funding. I think if we’d had a full assessment by someone senior in our student support team, with really good reasons why this wasn’t possible, we might have got away with one or two. You can deliver the L1 if you want, you just can’t claim funding.

Spats
    Participant

Ruth, I don’t think a withdrawn component aim on an apprenticeship will affect your stats negatively. As far as I know, it’s the outcome of the apprenticeship programme aim that drives the QAR, so as long as the learner has achieved all of the required aims you should be fine.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Yes, you’re right about QAR, I hadn’t realised that (I don’t deal with that side).

I’m still confused about why the instructions for 35 and 36 are not the same.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I just got an answer from ESFA about my question;

For funding stream 35, the Provider Support Manual says;

498. Where a learner achieves their framework programme but is continuing with level 2 functional skills (having progressed from level 1 during the apprenticeship), the programme aim should be closed with an Outcome of ‘Achieved’ along with the competency and knowledge aims as detailed above. The level 2 functional skills aims can remain open and should continue to be recorded until they are completed.

and

513. If the apprentice is continuing with level 2 functional skills that they started during the Intermediate-level apprenticeship, then the learning aim records for the functional skills do not need to be closed or amended. The Programme type, Framework code and Apprenticeship pathway fields will remain the same.

Does this also apply to apprenticeships on funding stream 36? If it does, can this bit be added the funding 36 section of the guidance?

They said;

Hello Ruth,

Thank you for contacting the service desk.

The process for Funding model 35 can be followed for continuing aims under funding model 36. We will update the Provider Support Model to include this.

So, no need to withdraw L2 Functional Skills when they complete the Intermediate apprenticeship, as long as the student is continuing to study the Functional Skills, either stand alone, or once they’ve progressed to the Advanced apprenticeship. As Spats points out, it makes no odds to the QAR, but it is easier to just leave the enrolments open.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.