Functional Skills Level 1 when learner has GCSE C

Feconnect has been replaced by ESFA communities.

Feconnect is read only and it is not possible to create or reply to topics or posts. To search feconnect we suggest you use site specific searches. ESFA Communities is now live. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Data issues Functional Skills Level 1 when learner has GCSE C

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Wayne H 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • chrislant1
    Spectator

Hi all,

I have just been asked if we can fund a functional skills level 1 even if a learner has a GCSE grade C in that subject and if the learner wants to complete it.

I have been informed that audit has pulled this up before. The only issue that I would see with funding this is making sure your initial assessment shows prior attainment and then you adjust the funding accordingly.

Any advise would be very welcome on this!

Thanks

Chris

miaw
    Spectator

Chris,

Unfortunately, no you cannot – if some such file is audited you would have to pay it back and it would be identified as a “funding error”. We had similar situations here and we have given that support to learners for free as the funding rules are quite clear that GSCEs grade C are exempt even though the learners feel that some that support would be beneficial…

Mia

Dave
    Spectator

Is there not a time limit on this?

By that I mean if they got the C grade over 5 years ago it no longer counts as RPL.

Caspar Verney
    Spectator

My understanding is the same as Dave’s that if the GCSE was got 5 years ago or longer then they will still need to do Maths & English at Level 1 (and it should be funded).

Many thanks,
    Caspar

Wayne H
    Spectator

I’ve raised this recently whereby some students who were doing functional skills level 2 before they started their level 3 apprenticeship, although a couple already had grade C’s in English but a long time ago (10+) , they were deemed by initial assessment to be below that level now thus could be co funded for delivery

1..Basically you couldnt prior attain as they were over 5 years old
    2. Deemed to be below level 2 through initial assessment
    3. Required them as part of their apprenticeship thus co funded was acceptable according to the funding team

Hope this helps

Wayne Hosking

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.