Funding adjustment for prior learning

Home Forums Data issues Funding adjustment for prior learning

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Taws 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • sid1975
    Participant

Hi

Can somebody help me please. The Funding adjustment for Prioir Learning field for apprenticeships in 13/14 is now included on the programme aim as well as the sub aims. I cannot figure out for the life of me why or how i complete this field. If we are completing this for the aims in the normal way why would it be required on the programme aim? how would this be calculated? I have looked in the ILR spec and provider support manual but, as ever, these are not clear. I have also asked the question to the data service who in their unique way have confused the issue even more!

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sid,
    I think this may have something to do with the change in funding methodology where achievement elements now exist at aim and framework levels for Apprenticeships. In previous years it has required a complicated calculation to adjust the monthly payments as the achievement element could not be adjusted for the framework.

With funding for Apprenticeships using both the current and new methodology in 13/14 we will need specific guidance on this from the SFA.

sid1975
    Participant

Hi Martin

That is what i suspected.

It is interesting as i have asked the data service who in turn asked the IA and neither can actually confirm anything specific

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sid,
    I have checked the provider support manual and it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard on this subject. Also checked the migration guidance and even more confused now:

The migration rule for this new field (PriorLearnFundAdj) states:
    If AimType=2, 3 or 4 then copy from PropFundRemain if present and less than 100. Do not migrate if
    PropFundRemain=100. If AimType=1 set to null.

The notes say: Providers will need to set the PriorLearnFundAdj on the Programme aim if a reduction in funding is required.
    Confused as is AimType1 not the progamme aim?
    Set to null or reduce funding it cannot be both.

Until we know more details of the actual funding calculations and if the adjustment % will be applied to the monthly payments or achievement or both we can only follow the migration guidance and hope that when we have SIF in R03 that it all becomes clear.

SFA STAFF

markshield
    Participant

In 2012/13 the proportion of funding remaining was not collected at programme aim level. Therefore in the migration spec we specifiy Aim type 1 to be set to null as this information will need to be set at programme aim level in 2013/14 for the field Funding adjustment for prior learning. This field is only completed where there is a value of less that 100%.

Mark Shield
    information authority

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Yes we can see what the IA have done (it may have better to say set to null first and then update if an adjustment is required) but a little more information on why or guidance on what needs to be entered into this field for the programme aim is needed, additional complications arise when you consider funding for existing frameworks under the existing methodology as against what the requirements for the same will be for new frameworks funded under the new simplified system.

Only 7 working days left until the next academic year start for us, the requirement to return an ILR may have been delayed by 3 months but this does not mean that we can delay enrolling or recording learners on our systems. We will need to complete data migration shortly and we also need to know what to enter into this field on our records so some guidance is urgently required.

Regards

SFA STAFF

markshield
    Participant

I’ve had clarification on how to complete the Funding adjustment for prior learning field where relevent for programme aims.

The field is to be completed with the percentage of time left to deliver the remainder of the programme. This is not to be confused with programme weighting. So it will be the percentage of the months left to deliver the programme, for example for a two year programme and no matter how much of the programme weighting has been delivered in the first year, if there is a year left then that would be classed as 50% of the programme remains to be delivered.

I hope this helps.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mark,
    That is bonkers, who told you that?

SFA STAFF

markshield
    Participant

The Skills Funding Agency funding policy team have advised us that this how the field should be completed for programme aims.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mark,
    I think either you or they misunderstood the question, could we have a copy of the documentation that was given to you.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I agree with Martin that it does sound very strange. What function does the PriorLearnFundAdj have anyway when applied to the Programme Aim since no funding is paid for that aim? Are the SFA trying to use it in an unexpected way?

Also when Mark gives that example, a two year course might run for 24 months, BUT the SFA pay 25 months since the first month is always double funded. Therefore if 12 months have been used and 12 remain then is 50% really the correct value? Or should it be 12/25 = 48% (since 13 have been paid and 12 remain)? Or something different?

Clearly this is not simple!!!

Many thanks,
    Caspar

Martin West
    Participant

Funding adjustment for prior learning

Definition: The proportion of this learning aim still to be delivered
    Reason required: To allow correct calculation of funding for learners who are not entitled to full funding for the learning aim.

We all understand why this is collected at the aim level, but at the Programme level there is now the framework component that has to be considered for new frameworks funded using the new methodology.

Now it may seem straightforward in that the APL that applies to individual aims should be reflected in an adjustment to the framework component, the following example scenario’s highlight the problem.

Scenario 1. Learner has prior experience working in the role but has no prior or formal qualifications.
    Workplace Diploma, 40% APL as has previous experience in the role for a number of years
    Technical Certificate, no APL as even though has practical experience has had no formal qualification or learning.
    Maths and English, needs to achieve these but APL not relevant to functional skills.
    If the Diploma accounts for 60% of the framework GLH the framework component will need to be adjusted to 40% of this 24% giving the proportion of funding remaining of 76% for the Programme aim (Apprenticeship Element).

Scenario 2. Learner has break in learning
    Again for the individual aims the proportion of funding remaining is straightforward and based on the time spent on each although these may be different depending on when each aim commenced.
    Guidance indicates that Apprenticeship Element is earned only when the framework is completed as such no funding will have been drawn down so no adjustment is required for the Programme aim.

How all this fits in with the information from Mark Shield and what two year programme or programme weighting has to do with this is all over the top of my head.

Skills Funding Agency funding policy team if you wish to communicate with this forum please do so directly as the message gets lost due to the Chinese Whisper effect.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I asked the Data Service how the fields PriorLearnFundAdj and OtherFundAdj should be completed against the Programme Aim (ZPROG001) for an Apprenticeship or Advanced Apprenticeship, since no funding is paid against the ZPROG001 line. The answer I received today reads:

“We have been advised by the Skills Funding Agency Funding team that the programme aim should be completed with the percentage of remaining time left on the whole programme. This is very different from how the component aims are completed.”

So this appears to confirm the information given by Mark Shield earlier in this thread, although the logic behind it still eludes me.

HTH
    Caspar

Martin West
    Participant

As the framework element funding is attached to the programme aim, could it be that this has to be adjusted in proportion to the funding adjustments made to the component aims remembering that there will be no main aim next sorry this year.

I expect it will all become clear when they issue some guidance on the funding calculation algorithms that’s if they ever do.

I would suggest that where APL applies to any component aim then the percentage of remaining time left on the whole programme is calculated in a similar manner to that previously necessary when working out the % for a main aim in 2012/13 where the achievement element had to be taken into consideration.

The simple solution would be for the funding team to tell us what the formula for calculating this will be.

Am I expecting to much?

Alan Taws
    Participant

Greetings all

Can’t help on this one but I do want to make a point… our MIS has all the funding calculations from 12/13 built in and we use this to analyse our funding often in preference to running off ILR batch and loading into LIS. It also enables us to double check our income against what LIS calculates and frequently it helps to identify bugs in LIS which result in the misrepresentation of funding (and there are always a few bugs in LIS and I can’t see FIS being any different…).
    When I last attended an Own Software meeting I’d asked for some worked examples of funding for 13/14 i.e. a technical explanation but preferably in plain English with specific reference to the ILR and LARA fields that trigger funding generation so that I can produce funding reports from our MIS in 2013/14. Unfortunately, but entirely as expected at this point in time, there’s nothing published that refers directly to the ILR fields. Hopefully something will come soon but come on IA – give us a clue. It’s quite important that we are able to validate our funding in this way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.