Health and Safety Requirements for WPL

Home Forums Data issues Health and Safety Requirements for WPL

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Scott 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • darrenharlow
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to locate any guidance on whether H&S checks are required to be carried out for workplace learning outside of an Apprenticeship? I don’t usually deal with this side of things but it’s holding up the enrolment process for a couple of learners we have.

I’ve tried searching this site, the SFA Funding Rules, the .Gov site and Google and I’m either having a senior afternoon or I really don’t know what to look for? I couldn’t even find the guidance for Apprenticeships?

In short, we have a couple of learners on NVQ Diploma-only in the workplace where the need for a health and safety check is being queried.

Any ideas?

Tia.

Darren.

sampage
    Participant

We do them as a duty of care to our learners who are in work placements. it is quite basic but it ensures all the relevant insurances are in place, first aiders, etc etc

David Neal
    Participant

I’m worried about who is questioning the need for it! If it’s the employer I’d seriosly consider if I want to work with them.

Whilst it is no longer specified in the “Rules”, Ofsted will look at Safeguarding for all learners, which will include “is it a safe environment”. You also have a duty to your staff going in to train/assess.

I’d look at the same areas you do for Apprentices. They are your learners at the end of the day.

David

darrenharlow
    Participant

Thanks for the responses folks. It wasn’t an employer who was asking – just a colleague in our business unit asking whether we’re undertaking health and safety checks (and incurring the cost) where there is no requirement to do so.

As I mentioned I just really struggled to find any guidance on this.

Regards.

Darren.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Darren,
    In the long distant past there was a requirement to undertake full H and S checks for Apprenticeships and work placements but the funding rules no longer define a requirement.
    In general Providers will include this check for all new employers but they only need to follow the advice from the Health and Safety Executive:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/youngpeople/workexperience/index.htm
    HTH

darrenharlow
    Participant

Thanks Martin – this is a really good read (especially the section on Myths). Whilst my initial question related to learners already employed the overall consensus from the HSE is to keep things in proportion.

Much appreciated.

Darren.

Sue Scott
    Participant

Hi
    Sorry to keep querying the issue of H and S but I was wondering about recording that we have asked the right questions or that we regularly keep an eye out for problems when we visit learners in the workplace.
    I have been asked to produce a document to confirm ‘we have carried out sufficient checks to satisfy ourselves that the learner is in a safe environment‘.
    I feel this is just more paperwork when we are trying to reduce paper and also the workload for assessors.
    Will the ESFA or Ofsted require ‘written evidence‘?
    I am leaning toward a verbal question at review when both the Mentor and learner can express concerns on H&S if they have any.

Any ideas would be good but I would like confirmation that ‘written evidence’ is not required.

Sue

Sue Scott
    Participant

Hi
    Sorry to keep querying the issue of H and S but I was wondering about recording that we have asked the right questions or that we regularly keep an eye out for problems when we visit learners in the workplace.
    I have been asked to produce a document to confirm ‘we have carried out sufficient checks to satisfy ourselves that the learner is in a safe environment‘.
    I feel this is just more paperwork when we are trying to reduce paper and also the workload for assessors.
    Will the ESFA or Ofsted require ‘written evidence‘?
    I am leaning toward a verbal question at review when both the Mentor and learner can express concerns on H&S if they have any.

Any ideas would be good but I would like confirmation that ‘written evidence’ is not required.

Sue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.