Is R03 mandatory or not?

Home Forums Data issues Is R03 mandatory or not?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  murrayg 7 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • Caspar Verney
    Participant

It is so infuriating that the Authorities will not come clean about this question.

If a Provider would normally have been expected to make an R03 Batch File Return then the best official response I can get is:

“All providers are expected to make a return, if you are posing the question “Well what if i do not make a return for R03?”, then my response would be that as per usual you would have no data for statistical and reporting purposes.
    As you are aware you are paid on profile, so there would be no financial implications, but if you are not intent on doing an R03 return then this should also be discussed with your SFA relationship manager.”

So if a Return is impossible due to missing data from the Authorities, or due to a non-working or uninstallable FIS Beta (which is not fit for use in any live environment as freely admitted elsewhere), or any other reason then will a Provider be penalised in any way, either now or in the future? In theory Providers may be contractually obligated to make a Return, particularly as it has not yet been possible to make one yet during this academic year. However there should be no “intention” to refuse one (as suggested above), it just may not prove possible.

Presumably the pressure to make a Return is so that the government can have its first glimpse of just how many students are enroled this year and what financial commitments ensue.

What will happen if this same situation exists for Period 4?

lapsed_user
    Participant

Wouldn’t they be really cross if all everyone did was to upload a single learner!

lapsed_user
    Participant

I find the R03 a very helpful boot-up-then-bum to make sure we’re doing things correctly for the new reporting period! How useful the data is for anyone is – I don’t know.

I normally always find subtle changes need to be made, usually to the MI system, so the R03 helps usget them done and out of the way in November.

danbartley
    Participant

The latest IA update doesn’t clear any of this up either – really frustrating.

At this point there is nowhere to upload to anyway (unless I’m missing something).

steveh
    Participant

but that’s not the point of R03. R03 is *purely* (for those of us on profile) for 16-18 Apps as laid out in the ILR timetable here:

http://www.theia.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/310C9093-C539-450C-A4B4-6A1029B6EEC1/0/ILRSpecification2013_14Appendix_A_Colleges_Jun2013_V2.pdf

now it you don’t return R03 the worst that could happen is you wouldn’t get paid for your 16-18 apps until next month, right?

They want us to make R03s because they want to test their system, I suspect because they are somewhat worried that it will completely fall over during R04…

lapsed_user
    Participant

Ive just checked OLDC – no where to upload a file anyway.

danbartley
    Participant

Call me an old cynic but the fact they have stopped mentioning OLDC in the last couple of communications suggests that it might not be capable of receiving and processing 13/14 data by by month end (which isn’t far away) and therefore there will be nowhere to upload the files to anyway.

steveh
    Participant

I suspect OLDC (or at least a small part of it) is more likely to be useable than the new hub, even if it’s just the “upload file here” page…

Tony Braithwaite
    Participant

The DS update that I received on Saturday (when I was more occupied in ‘battening down the hatches’ for the weekend storm) tells us that they will be taking OLDCS offline at middday today in preparation for the 30th Nov upload of R03, see http://www.thedataservice.org.uk/News/PFRAvailability.htm

We’re just planning up send the Apprenticeship data as per the return timetable. Far too much work to do on the full set in time for the 6th November, particularly as it’s half term.

chrislant1
    Participant

If there is a place to upload a ILR to we will be uploading however the last time I got fis to work I have roughly 2 errors per learner on average (i suspect this is something to do with LARS) but if not then our ILR will be full of errors.

We are going to struggle to put all our errors correct in time if we get a working reliable version of FIS any time soon. I do not know if we are the only ones but does anyone have a non-business critical machine that they can install FIS on? At the moment we are taking a risk with this.

Thanks

Chris

Simon France
    Participant

I don’t have a ‘non-business critical’ machine. I had to order a new one to satisfy the Windows 7 requirement – I didn’t have the foresight to order 2 so I could use one to beta-test the SFA’s software for them.

chrislant1
    Participant

I am looking forward to being asked why most my learners (if the last fis report i managed to get out was correct) have errors on.

Also are we now just uploading to OLDC or are we still trying to upload to both?

Caspar Verney
    Participant

DES simply isn’t working so OLDC is the only option for R03.

As they are really keen to get files uploaded (presumably to further test their software) then they should be uploaded warts and all, whether they pass FIS or not. If you cannot get FIS to work at all then you should still upload a file, even if it is complete rubbish.

I am expecting that after 6th November there will be a further announcement to say that some issues have been discovered that mean that DCFT must be further delayed, although that won’t be revealed until the absolute last minute (so December 5th, say) – if I have to eat humble pie on this then I will relish it greatly!

murrayg
    Participant

I have managed to get our software provider to validate an R03 through FIS – for others that have been able to do this, have you had errors particularly on the Z00 learning aim references?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.