LARS and LearnAimRef_38 issue

Home Forums Data issues LARS and LearnAimRef_38 issue

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Caspar Verney 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Martin West
    Participant

I have a number of aims (50024358, 50027761) that are being delivered as full cost but are triggering the rule error in FIS LearnAimRef_38 even though these qualifications are current.
    I think that this may be due to errors in LARS as the last date for new starts under ‘Other’ is 31/8/2014 while Adult Skills, EFA, 24+ Loan, Olass and Unemployed Offer have dates on or after 31/7/2015.
    Will this be corrected for R04?

jsimmonds
    Participant

I have had the same issue and logged a call with the Data Service and received the response below yesterday :-

Thank you for bringing these errors to my attention, all of the Other validity details have now been amended to reflect what is displayed on Ofqual, this updated information will be available to use once the R04 collection opens.

The R04 collection is open, but the errors are still showing.

Martin West
    Participant

Thanks for the info but.
    They have not been amended in LARS or the LARS download so where have they amended them?
    Is there a master LARS database used only by the SFA or are they talking rubbish and they have yet to amend these details.

jsimmonds
    Participant

I have different learning aims but they do not show on the latest LARS either. I have emailed the Data Service again!

I will update once I receive a reply.

SFA STAFF

markshield
    Participant

Martin

The aims 50024358 and 50027761 had been identified and have been amended this morning as the OTHER validity category was incorrect. Unfortunately this is too late to be implemented into the LARS download for R04 but will be in R05.

The LARS database is continually updated internally however it is currently only published into the public domain once a month.

Mark Shield
    ILR Specification Team
    Skills Funding Agency

ab
    Participant

If you look at 50024358 in LARS you find that the operational end date is set to 31/08/2014 yet one or more of the validity dates is beyond this date e.g. the 16-19 EFA date is 31/08/2016. If you then look at the Ofqual details you find that the operational end date is not 31/08/2014. In the latest version of LARS mdb (generated 24/10/2014) there are over 1,000 aims relating to to the current academic year where one or more of the validity dates in LARS is beyond the operational end date – suggesting that there are over 1,000 aims where the operational end date in LARS does not agree with Ofqual. If you look at these aims you find that the ‘Other’ date is often the same as the erroneous operational end date. Hence LARS continues to need reviewing with reference to the operational end dates, and one or more of the validity dates.
    Other examples of the above (erroneous operational end dates in LARS ) :- 50027761, 50022490, 50123245, .. and many others where about 800 of these aims are A Level, AS Level, GCSE, or Functional Skills. Awaiting the next release of LARS mdb – I guess that will be next week.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mark,
    Thank you for the update but the SFA and the service desk are confusing the situation when they say that amendments have been made when in fact this has not been done in LARS, its download or the FIS dataset.
    What you record or amend internally is of no interest to Providers so please do not mislead us by implying this has been done in LARS.
    It is symptomatic of the issues Providers are having that you are unable to update your systems and software more frequently than on a monthly basis I thought that the aim of the DCFT project was to overcome this type of issue.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mark,
    It does seem that the SFA and service desk are reacting to individual queries from providers and that no one is addressing the underlying issue where many qualification operational and certification end dates are incorrectly recorded on LARS.
    The solution would be to update all these dates from Ofqual and then set the last date for new starts for ‘Other’ to the updated operational end date, this will then correct all of the current errors that exist in LARS.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Forgive me, but I thought that under the Agile Development trumpeted by the SFA for the DCFT project that issues could be addressed within any two week sprint or quicker, rather than just once a month – especially for such a clanger.

Caspar Verney
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.