Learner achieving after year end

Home Forums Data issues Learner achieving after year end

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  paultaylor 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • Garry Welborn
    Participant

Hi,

If a learner on Classroom based provision does not achieve until after the Hard Close on the 23rd October, are we able to roll the learner over into 15/16,and then achieve them?

If we are able to do this would someone be able to point me to the funding guidance that stipulates this?

Thank you

Garry

sampage
    Participant

When were / are they supposed to finish?

Garry Welborn
    Participant

Hi Sam,

Their expected end date is 31/7/2015

Regards

Garry

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Garry,
    Sorry I do not understand what you mean by achievement:
    If the learner is still in learning after 31st July then you carry them over into 15/16
    If learning ended prior to 1st Aug then you would record the outcome in 14/15 but if the outcome is not known (awaiting results) then you could carry the learners over to 15/16 and report the outcome when known in 15/16.
    HTH

sampage
    Participant

I agree with Martin we would just do a change of circumstances to increase the time frame they are with us and carry the learning on into 15/16.

Garry Welborn
    Participant

Thank you both for the clarification

Regards

Garry

paultaylor
    Participant

As Martin says the learning actual end date will be the last day of learning so if that was in 14/15 then the learner would not carry over. For these learners you will have until the final 14/15 funding submission to confirm the achievement. If this is not done then the achievement will not be included in achievement rates for 14/15.

Your original question suggests that the learner is continuing so would naturally role over into 15/16. I don’t know how your MIS handles this but sampage’s advice needs some clarification as you should not change any ILR data to extend planned end dates as this will lead to overclaiming funding.

Paul

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    The QAR also uses the R04 collection the following year so you could carry over a learner that was awaiting confirmation of results and if achievement is confirmed would then be included in the achievement rates.
    I think the reason they allow this is that the 13 week window may be difficult to get all achievement results in so they do allow this extension for the QAR but if they will pay the achievement element in the following year is another question I am not certain of the answer.
    HTH

paultaylor
    Participant

Martin – Is it not the case that the R04 is only used to collect additional timely success rate information for aims due to be completed in 14/15 but that end in first few months of 15/16?

I could be wrong on this but thought that this was the case. Would an achievement with a pre-15/16 learning actual end date be picked up in the 15/16 ILR return?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    When matching between ILR data files the QAR for 14/15 uses 2013/2014, 2014/2015, 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 ILR’s for timely and overall rates, the aim records from previous years are discarded leaving only the latest information in the qualification dataset.
    I think the reason they only state for timely rates is because for overall they only use planned or actual end dates in 14/15 but where achievement for this is recorded by R04 it would be included.
    (I think that’s how it works in practice)

paultaylor
    Participant

Thanks Martin. I suppose my real question is do achieved aims with end dates in 14/15 in get picked up on the 15/16 ILR submission?

I think that you are suggesting that they are, and therefore providers are able to send through achievements after 14/15 R14, but by 15/16 R04 so that they are included in the QAR dataset.

As you say this is not made explicit in the ‘Apprenticeship QAR dataset production specification 2014 to 2015’ and only the timely update requirement is explained. It would be useful therefore to have an official response on this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.