Maths Exemption

Home Forums Data issues Maths Exemption

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth CJ 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • RCartwright
    Participant

We have a student who would like to be made exempt from maths as she has special needs. However, she does not have an EHCP and when I flag her, it says I cannot use the exemption flag as she does not have an EHCP. Can this be done in the ILR or will she have to do maths?

Thank you

Martin West
    Participant

Ruth CJ
    Participant

You can’t record them as exempt without an EHCP. You can just let them fail CoF as long as you’re within your 5% tolerance. We have several every year that we have exempted, but don’t have an EHCP, and they just fall within our tolerance. We don’t make them do English/maths if it wouldn’t be in their best interests.

RCartwright
    Participant

Thank you for your help. I thought this would be the case, but wondered whether there was something I was missing.

Pete_Johnson
    Participant

Hi all

If this is LearnFAMType_15 / LearnFAMType_16 errors then they don’t necessarily need to have an EHCP to be exempted. They can have a Statement of SEN which needs to be written up by an appropriate person in authority (see the guidance that Martin kindly linked to for more info).

The validation for LearnFAMType_15 states;

If the learner is exempt from maths GCSE condition of funding due to learning difficulties or disabilities (LearnerFAM.LearnFAMType = MCF and LearnerFAM.LearnFAMCode = 1), they must have a Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Education health care plan (EHC plan)

(error where LearnerFAM.LearnFAMType <> (SEN or EHC))

My emphasis on the violation report condition text but hopefully it shows you don’t need to rely on an EHCP to exempt learners.

RCartwright
    Participant

Thank you.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Sorry, yes, I’d missed the SEN bit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.