Minimum duration vs Actual Duration – Apprentices

Home Forums Data issues Minimum duration vs Actual Duration – Apprentices

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mike_1304 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi,

If a learner who has a planned duration of less than 366 days and there was no RPL applied (19+ learner), but stays on programme for 16-18 months, can they achieve their framework?

Also, if the learner was 16-18 and had a planned duration of less than 366 days but stayed on programme for longer than 366 days, can they achieve their framework?

Thanks in advance,

Mel

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mel,
    The funding rules indicate no in the following:
    137. Apprenticeship learning is not eligible to be funded if the planned duration of the framework, calculated from the learning start date and the learning planned end date, is less than one year. If the exception described at paragraph 135 above applies, the planned duration of the
    framework must be at least six months.
    But see also 133 as a longer period may apply
    133. The minimum duration of all Apprenticeships is one year. To meet this condition, the apprentice must still be in learning on the anniversary of the date they started the Apprenticeship. If the Specification for Apprenticeship Standards in England (SASE) Framework states a longer duration, that longer duration will apply and must be substituted in the funding rules for the minimum duration of Apprenticeships.

In practice as long as the minimum duration is achieved as outlined above and the original planned end date was entered in error but you were not able to correct this due to the rules over not altering end dates then this should be ok.
    HTH

Mimido
    Participant

Sorry about my interjecting query….What happens if the learner has already achieved a grade A*-C in GCSE/Functional skills level 2 in Maths and English before the start of the Apprenticeship programme? Would the the 366 minimum duration requirement apply?

Hughes18
    Participant

The minimum duration is applied to the NVQ/Diploma and therefore concession evidence is not reason enough to reduce the duration. To enable a reduction the learner must be 19+ and have significant prior learning that is applied to the delivery aim and you also reduce the funding rate to reflect this.
    Regards
    Tracey

lapsed_user
    Participant

Thanks Martin. It was as I suspected.

Mimido
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Hughes.

mike_1304
    Participant

Hi,

I would just like to re-ignite this topic.

Mr Hughes – I would disagree the minimum duration is against the NVQ/Diploma and suggest it is against the Programme Aim. The NVQ/Diploma part can be delivered during any point of the app framework, within reason of GLH, etc.

My reason to challenge this is I have a learner who achieved within 366 days but had already completed the FS elements – so would this be classed as RPL? in my eyes it would however, is there a difference if the learner had completed the FS previously, or if they had GCSE exemption?

As with everyone, I want to do what is right, but also I would like to push this learner through as a FW achiever.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Michael

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    The answer to your query may be simpler than you think as if the learner has remained in employment under their Apprenticeship agreement with their employer for the 366 days then you can claim completion after the anniversary date.
    I would see this as your only option as I agree with @hughes18 that the framework minimum applies to the workplace content with the employer.
    HTH

mike_1304
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, under normal practice we leave the learner live till 366 days then action to close with some final learning. however this didn’t happen and the FW Cert from ACE has been received where both the ace application and the FW certificate has dates within 366 days.

Unless we re-apply for the FW? is that possible?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    A bit surprised by your ‘normal practice’ as this would normally be considered an exception and as you have closed the aim that relates to learning with the employer and have already received the completion certificate I think you will have to take a hit on this but view it as a lesson learned.

mike_1304
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thanks, yes I think we will have to take the hit.

re ‘normal practice’ – by keeping the learner live I mean delivery for 366 days as per the rules. this learner who achieved early is a one off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.