New LDM COVID codes – ESFA Update 03062020

Home Forums Data issues New LDM COVID codes – ESFA Update 03062020

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Gill Knight 1 month ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
  • LC
    Participant

Hi all

Just seen todays ESFA update: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/esfa-update-3-june-2020/esfa-update-further-education-3-june-2020#information-individualised-learner-record-ilr-reporting–learners-affected-by-covid-19

Looks like we do all need to use the new LDM codes?? Not just providers under the provider support relief?

L

davej
    Participant

Not the way I read it;

We have introduced two learning delivery monitoring (LDM) codes for training providers funded by ESFA who are in receipt of support through the provider relief scheme (PRS), these codes are valid for use from 21 March 2020.

LC
    Participant

Yes I thought that initially, but then the last bit reads:

“In addition, training providers funded by ESFA who are not in receipt of support from the provider relief scheme should also use these LDM codes where learners have been affected by the impact of COVID-19.”

CLH75
    Participant

Hi Is this only non levy or is it All APPS
    Also what about Adult loans and AEB ?

Martin West
    Participant

That must have been an after thought by the ESFA or they would have only included the following:

LDM code 368 should be used if a learner was on a programme funded by us and who is currently unable to continue with their training and education as a direct result of COVID-19. Training providers will continue to engage with those learners with a range of activities so they can restart their programme as soon as it is safe to do so.

LDM code 369 should be used to identify those learners whose start date has been delayed by the impact of COVID-19. Training providers will continue to support those individuals, so they are ready to start learning when it is safe to do so. The LDM code will be used when you return the ILR to confirm the learner has now started their programme.

davej
    Participant

Interesting use of ‘a programme funded by us’ and whether this counts for levy apps, given the decision not to allow furlough for levy providers, as the contract (which must mean the funding) is between the training provider and the employer, not with the ESFA.
    So, is a levy apprentice ‘funded by us’ or funded by the employer?

Ruth CJ
    Participant

In addition, training providers funded by ESFA who are not in receipt of support from the provider relief scheme should also use these LDM codes where learners have been affected by the impact of COVID-19.

That last bit; what if we just don’t? I don’t have a list of those students in this position. Some may have been withdrawn, some put on a BIL. I can’t retrospectively work out who they were without a huge amount of admin work, and what will it achieve?

steveh
    Participant

I’ve written a grumpy email asking what “should” means, does it mean “must” or “can” and also what happens if we do/don’t use it…

OFFS
    Participant

In terms of the ‘funded by us’ issue, ESFA should be able to work that out by checking the ACT value. So I guess there would be little harm in using the code for all affected learners (if one could do so, wished to do so and had the time…) ?

Martin West
    Participant

I think you have taken the “funded by us” to literally

Martin West
    Participant

Even if you are correct the ACT value 1 can included those funded by the levy and those funded by the ESFA so that would not work.

jessicar
    Participant

Surely its only going to be used to monitor the impact covid has had in education?

Agree with Ruth – bit of an Admin burden to try and backtrack and work out who these learners are. And if we all can’t remember or miss a few learners out, the data across the sector will be inaccurate anyway.

OFFS
    Participant

Ah yes forgot the ACT1 bodge…

KT
    Participant

I find the guidance in the ESFA Update differs to the guidance provided in the ILR Spec 19/20: learning monitoring codes V2 document:

ILR spec – LDM code 368 – to identify learners who have left their programme without achieving due to COVID-19, including those who are being supported by the provider so they can return when it is safe to do so.

ESFA update – LDM code 368 should be used if a learner was on a programme funded by us and who is currently unable to continue with their training and education as a direct result of COVID-19. Training providers in receipt of the ESFA provider relief scheme will continue to engage with those learners with a range of activities so they can restart their programme as soon as it is safe to do so.

We don’t have any learners who have left their apprenticeship, where they are affected by COVID-19 they are either on a BiL or furloughed and continuing with OTJ training in full force.

It’s rather confusing…….

Martin West
    Participant

Hi KT,
    Both versions mean the same and would include those put on a BIL due to COVID-19.
    HTH

Emma M
    Participant

Have we established whether this is a “need” to do yet? I was going to post a question asking and then saw this thread, but I’ve assumed that this is an expectation. As an EP it’s a little easier for us and I have a list, but I’m not going to get it all done by the R10 deadline. I also don’t want to create a lot of admin work for myself if I don’t have to! It feels like that end part was just dropped into the conversation and I feel like it should have been communicated out by an Account Manager if it’s a requirement…

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Emma,
    If you are not funded by the ESFA provider relief scheme there is no current requirement to return this data.

LC
    Participant

Hi

Just to let you know, I have had a response from the ESFA:

“Thank you for contacting the Service Desk

The new LDM codes are mandatory for Providers who are in receipt of the relief scheme and for Providers who are not they should also be recording the LDM codes where applicable to show that learning has been affected by Covid-19.

This will assist with Government reporting,”

Martin West
    Participant

As it is a should and not a must but they have not yet included this in any documentation to providers.
    unless they have told you directly to return these codes you should not do so.

steveh
    Participant

this was the response sent to me:

Hi Steve

Thank you for contacting the Service Desk

For ILR reporting the LDM codes have been added for government reporting to see how many learners have been affected by Covid-19. Providers who are in receipt of the Provider relief scheme must use the new LDM codes.

Providers who are not using the scheme should use the code to assist in this government reporting strategy but if the LDM codes are not present in the data it will not affect payment or ILR validation, that is why the word “must” has not been used.

Please update you data accordingly.

Kind regards
    Keith
    Service Desk

so, um…

LC
    Participant

Hmmm interesting!! My response was from Keith too. I must word/phrase it better next time! Thank you.

We are going to see if any further clarification comes out, then see what happens next month.

steveh
    Participant

Also, as pointed out to me by a colleague, you can’t (currently) use 368 on anyone who started before 21 March, which I’m pretty sure would be the majority of learners most people have withdrawn…

Sorry, that’s not right, you just need the most recent version of FIS for it to recognise the code, the only error is on valid to, not valid from!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  steveh. Reason: i was wrong!

Gill Knight
    Participant

Does the valid from need to be the date of the BIL?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.