Partial completion – definition

Home Forums Data issues Partial completion – definition

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jenny Johnson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • Martin Locock
    Participant

I have an apprentice on a degree standard who has withdrawn after completing 70 credits at Level 4.

As I read the ILR spec, this counts as ‘no achievement’ at both programme and aim level since 70 credits is not enough to qualify for a lower award. (If they had completed 120 credit that would be enough for a CertHE and so would be counted as partial achievement for the learning aim but no achievement for the programme.)

Is that correct? (I have a vague memory of seeing something that implied that achieving *any* credits > partial, but I have been unable to find anything).

Martin West
    Participant

Code 2 ‘Partial achievement’ should only be used for prescribed HE learning aims where the learner has achieved an award that is at a lower academic level than the qualification they were aiming for as identified by the learning aim reference. For example, a learner who is aiming for an HND but leaves at the end of the first year with an HNC.

joannab
    Participant

It would depend if the student is being awarded anything. From 70 credits at level 4 they *could* have an award of “credits at level C”. But are you actually awarding them that?

Martin Locock
    Participant

Thanks both.

No, there’s no formal award.

I have however kept a record of the completed modules because if at some stage in the future they were to restart on this standard then the new provider would need to take account of progress made previously.

Lucy Linton
    Participant

Hello,

Can anyone advise if we can record learning aims as partial achievements if the learner has achieved some modules but not all. 16-19

Thank you

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Lucy,
    Code 2 ‘Partial achievement’ should only be used for prescribed HE learning aims
    HTH

Lucy Linton
    Participant

Thank you Martin – so we cannot use code 2 Partial achievement in FE at all?

Martin West
    Participant

The full definition is:
    Code 2 ‘Partial achievement’ should only be used for prescribed HE learning aims where the learner has achieved an award that is at a lower academic level than the qualification they were aiming for as identified by the learning aim reference. For example, a learner who is aiming for an HND but leaves at the end of the first year with an HNC.
    HTH

Martin Locock
    Participant

One thing I’d add that came up with the recent change about allowing previous withdrawers to restart down the line- the first provider should make a record of their progress (credits and KSBs) up to point of withdrawal, so that if/when they restart it is clear how much is left to do.

Lucy Linton
    Participant

Much appreciated – thank you

Jenny Johnson
    Participant

Hi there
    Okay, I understand its about prescribed HE provision.
    How do we code when an apprentice who has completed all the learning and is ready for the gateway – they either fail EPA or choose not to sit it. Therefore they have completed and not achieved = 2.3 or 3.3?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Jenny,
    If they fail EPA it is CompStatus 2 Outcome 3 No achievement
    If they chose not to do the EPA it is a withdrawal CompStatus 3 Outcome 3 No achievement
    HTH

Jenny Johnson
    Participant

Cheers Martin,
    I thought so but just crossing the ‘T’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.