Planned Hours (PHours) – 2019-20 spec

Home Forums Data issues Planned Hours (PHours) – 2019-20 spec

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  steveh 6 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Martin Gallagher
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at the ILR specification for 2019-20 for the Planned off-the-job hours:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/800443/ILR_Specification_2019-2020v2.pdf
    [Page 130]

This is a new field we are required to provide for 2019-20 for our Apprenticeship Students (Funding Model 36). However, the following two statements are confusing me:

DEFINITION: For apprenticeships this field collects the Planned off-the-job training hours (as defined in the funding rules) for the individual apprentice in the academic year by the training provider, sub-contracted training providers and the employer.

NOTES: Planned off-the-job training hours for the individual apprentice over the full apprenticeship (excluding the end point assessment period) by the training provider, sub-contracted training providers and the employer.

Is this required for the year or for the entire programme?

The ILR specification also does not specify whether this is required for all learners or just for new starters, however I found this which says PHours is only required for new starters after 1st August 2019:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/814518/1920_Summary_of_Changes_v1.0_FINAL__Clarification_version_.pdf

Does anyone have any further clarity on this?

Thanks
    Martin

OFFS
    Participant

The new validation rule PHours_01 states:
    “For starts on or after 1 August 2019 (LearningDelivery.LearnStartDate => 2019-08-01), Planned hours must be returned for apprenticeships (LearningDelivery.FundModel = 36)”
    There is no rule for starts before August 2019.
    On the other point about exactly what hours are captured, I would say this is for ESFA to clarify. I had thought (for reasons I now can’t recall) that it was for the whole programme but their guidance does contradict itself.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    OFFS got there first.
    The validations rules confirm :For starts on or after 1 August 2019 (LearningDelivery.LearnStartDate => 2019-08-01), Planned hours must be returned for apprenticeships (LearningDelivery.FundModel = 36)
    And If returned, Planned hours must not be less than 278 hours

My assumption is it would be as per the commitment statement for the whole apprenticeship.

OFFS
    Participant

Also, validation rule PHours_02 states

“If returned, Planned hours must not be less than 278 hours
    (error where LearningDelivery.PHours < 278)
    (This rule is not triggered by Restarts (LearningDelivery.LearnDelFAMType = RES))

Again, that would suggest it covers the entire programme rather than the academic year? If it was just the year there could be no minimum number.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I think the Definition and Notes directly contradict each other. Since I’ve been told by the service desk to pay more attention to the notes, I agree with Martin and OFFS that I think it’s total for the whole duration. Annual would be a nightmare to manage.

Martin Gallagher
    Participant

Thanks OFFS, Martin & Ruth for your detailed (and reassuring) answers – this now seems a lot more straightforward.

I can see how the phrase “in the planned academic year” in the definition could be interpreted as to only count off the job training while the apprentice is actively studying, but thought it best to check as annual would indeed be a nightmare!

steveh
    Participant

Hiya

I raised the academic year/whole programme thing the day the guidance came out. The response was “oops, yes, it’s definitely whole programme”. I begged for a version 2.1 of the ILR Spec to correct this but none came…

edited to add:

Here’s Mark Shield’s (person in charge of ILR) response confirming it:

http://feconnect.education.gov.uk/forums/topic/new-ilr-field-19-20-planned-hours/#post-367944

• This reply was modified 6 days, 22 hours ago by  steveh. Reason: added link
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.