Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS

Home Forums Data issues Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS

This topic contains 158 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  ESFA Data Collections Team 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 159 total)
  • Author
  • GnilS
    Participant

Response form the Service Desk regarding the UKPRN_09 error.

‘We are currently finalising the changes to the 2019/20 contracts for extensions to the Apprenticeship Carry-in provision and HEI Apprenticeship Carry-in provision. These contracts will be issued by 28 August. Until the contract has been published and signed electronically, providers are unable to submit R01 data. Providers will still have a minimum of 6 days to submit their data.’

steveh
    Participant

oh well, that’s fine then [SARCASM]

Richard Phipps
    Participant

Can I ask that the FIS have the

option

to not process the funding side, and just create the error report as before?

The way we work (and I imagine most providers are the same) is that we try to clear all the errors oout of an ILR file (which can involve putting multiple files through the FIS), and then when it is error free we will run it with the funding calculations turned on to generate all the funding reports.

Because of this it is a lot quicker to just check for errors (and not do all the funding side), and the faster it is the more time we can save with clearing out the errors.

We also found the summary report very useful to see what kind of issues we had and the amount of each error.

SFA STAFF

Agreement identifier
    Q5: There is no validation either error or warning when this is not returned for those with LDFT ACT 1
    From the ILR Specifications: This field must be recorded for all learners who have an apprenticeship programmes funded through a contract for services with the employer (Learning Delivery FAM Type = ACT1).
    From the PSM: Training providers will need to enter the identifier for any levy-funded apprenticeships in their Individualised Learner Record (ILR) returns. This will need to be done for any new starts and for all current apprentices that started before August 2018.

Reply from the ESFA

Thanks Martin. I’ll make the guys who look after validation aware. (Seriously – you should work here!)

Update from the ESFA

Hi Martin,

We’ve had a check and believe validation rule AgreeId_02 should account for this. Did you put your file through with this info missing and, if so, did this error crop up?

SFA STAFF

Can I ask that the FIS have the

option
    to not process the funding side, and just create the error report as before?

The way we work (and I imagine most providers are the same) is that we try to clear all the errors oout of an ILR file (which can involve putting multiple files through the FIS), and then when it is error free we will run it with the funding calculations turned on to generate all the funding reports.

Because of this it is a lot quicker to just check for errors (and not do all the funding side), and the faster it is the more time we can save with clearing out the errors.

We also found the summary report very useful to see what kind of issues we had and the amount of each error.

Reply from the ESFA

Thanks Richard – that’s good to know. I’ll pass this on to our user researcher to explore further.

Graham Knight
    Participant

How will the new FIS receive updates to reference data / processing rules?
    Will it be new zip file each time?

jonhampton
    Participant

I’m finding that the field dbo.ValidationError.ErrorMessage is not populated in the SQL output.

Can this be remedied as is key to understanding validation errors.

Thanks

SFA STAFF

Response form the Service Desk regarding the UKPRN_09 error.

‘We are currently finalising the changes to the 2019/20 contracts for extensions to the Apprenticeship Carry-in provision and HEI Apprenticeship Carry-in provision. These contracts will be issued by 28 August. Until the contract has been published and signed electronically, providers are unable to submit R01 data. Providers will still have a minimum of 6 days to submit their data.’

Reply from the ESFA (data collections)

Really sorry about this everybody. We’ve been assured these carry-in provision and HEI apprenticeship contracts will be out by the 28 August. So, it’ll mean resubmitting any files after that date, the day after you’ve signed the contracts. To clarify, you can make submissions before then – and reports will be in full for any providers that don’t have learners affected by this contract type.

SFA STAFF

I’m finding that the field dbo.ValidationError.ErrorMessage is not populated in the SQL output.

Can this be remedied as is key to understanding validation errors.

Thanks

Reply from the ESFA

Thanks Jon. I’ll pass this on to the FIS team to explore.

SFA STAFF

How will the new FIS receive updates to reference data / processing rules?
    Will it be new zip file each time?

Reply from the ESFA

Hi Graham,

Each FIS release will contain a more up-to-date version of the reference data and any changes to the rules. This will be available as a zip file each time.

TerryFord
    Participant

In Settings when I select Export to SQL: Tick
    and run it it gives an error message:

Sorry There is a problem
    Close this window and reopen. Contact ESFA Service Desk for Help and support

When the Export to SQL is not ticked it works no problem.
    Tried this on 2 laptops with the same 1920 file about 5 times, same result?

Thanks
    Terry

Emma Kershaw
    Participant

Hi All

Can anyone point me in the direction of the update? I’ve looked on https://hub.fasst.org.uk/pages/fis.aspx and 19/20 not showing and I’ve up-dated my current FIS but still nothing for 19/20. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Emma

Graham Knight
    Participant

Emma

https://submitlearnerdatabeta.fasst.org.uk/

make sure you re not logged in and should see it bottom right hand side

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Graham Knight.

OFFS
    Participant

Re: Each FIS release will contain a more up-to-date version of the reference data and any changes to the rules. This will be available as a zip file each time.

So updating FIS will be a manual process rather than automated ? Will there be any prompt or notification on the availability of updates ?
    Thanks

BTW Emma, this is not an update to the existing FIS, it is a complete new installation. if you have a look back at earlier posts/pages in this topic you will find links to download it.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi jonhampton,
    dbo.ValidationError is populated where you have errors but there is no errormessage table, you can however match against the validation spreadsheet.
    HTH

Martin West
    Participant

Agreement identifier
    Rule Agreeid_02 only checks where the Agreement identifier has been returned not that it has been returned for LDFT ACT 1.

I just have one error that I can’t seem to clear and that relates to the agreement identifier. The rule name is AgreeId_02 – The agreement identifier has been incorrectly returned. These are returning 3 learners who’s ID has been correctly entered and returned. The ID has been checked on the DAS, and as I say is being returned for 18/19 with no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

steveh
    Participant

Yeah, the advantage of not needing every admin right on a given PC with this version of FIS leads to the disadvantage of having to manually update, can’t have it both ways it seems…

FWIW, I think it’s a fair trade off, just have to add “go to the website and check for new FIS update” to your file production process.

I’ve sorted it by removing the ID from the ILR it no longer errors

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Terry,
    Did you enter the connection string for SQL Server it should be similar to this:
    Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=ILR1920;Integrated Security=True
    You do need SQL Server 2012 or 2017 installed.
    HTH

OFFS
    Participant

But any piece of software can give a prompt when an update is available, with a link to run it. I used to find the FIS auto-update a pain at times but it should be a simple matter to prompt and run manually.

SFA STAFF

Hi All

Can anyone point me in the direction of the update? I’ve looked on https://hub.fasst.org.uk/pages/fis.aspx and 19/20 not showing and I’ve up-dated my current FIS but still nothing for 19/20. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Emma

Reply from the ESFA

Hi Emma,

FIS for 19/20 won’t be on the Hub. It’ll always be accessible from the Submit Learner Data sign in page, and soon from the page after you sign in, under the tools and services menu.

The link will take you here to download it: https://submitlearnerdatabeta.fasst.org.uk/public-downloads/Desktop

SFA STAFF

Re: Each FIS release will contain a more up-to-date version of the reference data and any changes to the rules. This will be available as a zip file each time.

So updating FIS will be a manual process rather than automated ? Will there be any prompt or notification on the availability of updates ?
    Thanks

BTW Emma, this is not an update to the existing FIS, it is a complete new installation. if you have a look back at earlier posts/pages in this topic you will find links to download it.

Reply from the ESFA

Yes, that’s right. It will be manual. We’ll send out communications to notify users when this happens.

SFA STAFF

But any piece of software can give a prompt when an update is available, with a link to run it. I used to find the FIS auto-update a pain at times but it should be a simple matter to prompt and run manually.

Reply from the ESFA

That’s right. It’s coming soon… but other elements have take priority so far.

Ro
    Participant

Hi
    I Have submitted an RO1 ILR return.
    When i have gone back to the SLD sitethere is no record of it under the ‘latest submission’ or the ‘History inc reports’ tab

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS’ is closed to new replies.