Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS

Home Forums Data issues Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS

This topic contains 158 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  ESFA Data Collections Team 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Hi
    I Have submitted an RO1 ILR return.
    When i have gone back to the SLD sitethere is no record of it under the ‘latest submission’ or the ‘History inc reports’ tab

Reply from the ESFA

Hi there,

Submit Learner Data works slightly differently from the Hub in that you get your error validation report before you confirm you want to submit the file. If you’re certain you clicked the submit button after this stage, please can you get in touch with Service Desk? They will be able to look at your specific account to see what’s happened.

SFA STAFF

Agreement identifier
    Rule Agreeid_02 only checks where the Agreement identifier has been returned not that it has been returned for LDFT ACT 1.

Reply from the ESFA

Thanks Martin. I’ve passed that back to them and they’re looking into it.

And a response from the team that look after validation
    Thank you Martin, we are aware that there is no validation rule on this at present. We appreciate the feedback.

TerryFord
    Participant

Martin

I installed SQL Server 12 and can run the FIS no problem with Export to SQL ticked.

Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=ILR1920;Integrated Security=True

How do you find the SQL export? I have very little knowledge of SQL so I am asking stupid questions, sorry.

Thanks
    Terry

NinaManEx
    Participant

I am being really stupid because i am not an IT person – but how to i sync the new download to the software? I have no idea, i assumed there would be a ‘run’ facility to update the current software?

SFA STAFF

I am being really stupid because i am not an IT person – but how to i sync the new download to the software? I have no idea, i assumed there would be a ‘run’ facility to update the current software?

Reply from the ESFA

No stupid questions here, Nina!

The user guide will walk you through it how to download it and get it running.

It’s a completely separate application from 2018/19 FIS.

jamesfrancis
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m a developer for an MIS and I have a few questions about the FIS:

1. Is there any intention to include an accurate File Version on the two exe files? We interact with them from our software so could warn people if they have an old version?

2. Could the FIS write to the user’s registry with its install location so we wouldn’t rely on them setting it manually in our software? I asked this during the beta phase and was told it was a possibility.

3. If the command-line FIS errors due to a major error with the ILR (such as a schema error), how do we know? There doesn’t seem to be any error file in the output folder (like we had with the old FIS) and the error code returned from the app is zero, indicating success.

Thanks

SFA STAFF

Hi there,

I’m a developer for an MIS and I have a few questions about the FIS:

1. Is there any intention to include an accurate File Version on the two exe files? We interact with them from our software so could warn people if they have an old version?

2. Could the FIS write to the user’s registry with its install location so we wouldn’t rely on them setting it manually in our software? I asked this during the beta phase and was told it was a possibility.

3. If the command-line FIS errors due to a major error with the ILR (such as a schema error), how do we know? There doesn’t seem to be any error file in the output folder (like we had with the old FIS) and the error code returned from the app is zero, indicating success.

Thanks

Reply from the ESFA

Thanks for the questions, James.

1. We will be providing a way to identify the latest version. (A new version with a couple of bug fixes will go up shortly so you’ll be able to see then.)

2. It doesn’t do this right now. I’ll pass this on to our user researcher so it’s still front of mind, and she can delve deeper to see if it’s something other people will find useful too.

3. We think this should produce an error report. Could you contact Service Desk with the file you used and description of the problem/what happened and we’ll pick it up and try it from this end.

Thanks

jamesfrancis
    Participant

Thanks, will do.

Emma Kershaw
    Participant

Thanks got it now x

DJB1907
    Participant

Hi
    I cannot find any guidance on how to merge 2 xml files in 19/20 FIS.
    The information in the link below suggest that the Merge File Tool is not yet available.
    Any idea when this will be released?

https://submitlearnerdatabeta.fasst.org.uk/public-downloads/Amalgamation

thank you
    DJ

SFA STAFF

Hi
    I cannot find any guidance on how to merge 2 xml files in 19/20 FIS.
    The information in the link below suggest that the Merge File Tool is not yet available.
    Any idea when this will be released?

https://submitlearnerdatabeta.fasst.org.uk/public-downloads/Amalgamation

thank you
    DJ

Reply from the ESFA

Hi DJ,

Hi there,

You’re right – FileMerge will be available early next week and you can find the FileMerge guidance here.

You can’t merge files in FIS 19/20 itself.

Having felt quite pleased that I managed to get a clean ILR through the new FIS, I have just submitted it to the new SLD where it has returned a number of errors that I am really not sure about.

The two main errors are:

LSDPostcode_01 The Learning start date postcode is not valid
    UKPRN_09 There is no apprenticeship funding relationship for this UKPRN

The UKPRN number that is being returned is our own, so this has really thrown me. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ro
    Participant

Fiona
    I have had similar issues and i was provided with a link to the below message with regards to no relationship

HTH

Response form the Service Desk regarding the UKPRN_09 error.

‘We are currently finalising the changes to the 2019/20 contracts for extensions to the Apprenticeship Carry-in provision and HEI Apprenticeship Carry-in provision. These contracts will be issued by 28 August. Until the contract has been published and signed electronically, providers are unable to submit R01 data. Providers will still have a minimum of 6 days to submit their data.’

Reply from the ESFA (data collections)

Really sorry about this everybody. We’ve been assured these carry-in provision and HEI apprenticeship contracts will be out by the 28 August. So, it’ll mean resubmitting any files after that date, the day after you’ve signed the contracts. To clarify, you can make submissions before then – and reports will be in full for any providers that don’t have learners affected by this contract type.

SFA STAFF

Having felt quite pleased that I managed to get a clean ILR through the new FIS, I have just submitted it to the new SLD where it has returned a number of errors that I am really not sure about.

The two main errors are:

LSDPostcode_01 The Learning start date postcode is not valid
    UKPRN_09 There is no apprenticeship funding relationship for this UKPRN

The UKPRN number that is being returned is our own, so this has really thrown me. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply from the ESFA

Hi Fiona,

Well done! Don’t be too disheartened. That second one is definitely our doing. It’s directly related to the apprenticeship contracts having not been sent out (see the update on the original forum post).

Have you checked the post code for the other one? If it looks correct, please raise it as a potential bug via Service Desk and we can look into it.

SFA STAFF

Please can you confirm if discussions have or will be had with software providers?

If we don’t have an MDB file until Christmas then we won’t be able to use ProAchieve until then, which as I’ve already said is used in almost every college (and probably many other providers too). It is an essential tool for us in monitoring retention and achievement and it becomes even more important should Ofsted come calling.

Reply from the ESFA

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comments. We will look to deliver it as quickly as we can, however… our focus has been on making sure that providers can get paid. Kindly, Martin West, has suggested a fix on this forum.

If it continues to be an issue, let Service Desk know and we’ll see what else we can do.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the second one was our mistake, although I was kind of hoping our software would put it through to the ILR.

Thanks

TerryFord
    Participant

The ESFA have just responded “Martin West, has suggested a fix on this forum.”

I would have thought it was up to the ESFA to provide a Fix ie a .mdb file which previously was available.

No disrespect to Martin intended he has done an excellent job with the “Fix”, but I could not get it to work on my machine so I have not got a “Fix” I can use.

All I have done for the past 2 days is try to find a solution to this issue whereas all it needs is the ESFA to produce a simple .mdb file!!

Thanks
    Terry

Martin West
    Participant

Just to clarify my suggestion was only to show how you could access the SQL tables in FIS using a pass though query in Access. It could not be used to replicate the previously produce mdb file as required by ProAchieve as the new FIS SQL Server has only half the tables of the previous FIS.

Has anyone managed to submit an ILR that doesn’t error on the LSD postcode field? If I put a postcode in that field it won’t even run it through the new FIS, if I don’t put a postcode in it errors on the SLD site. Is it a known issue?

Thanks

OFFS
    Participant

Hi Fiona, I haven’t tried it myself. It shouldn’t error for :
    a valid postcode
    where Funding Model = 35
    aim start is after 31/07/19
    and Programme Type is not 24
    Do the records meet all those criteria ? Always possible of course that the list of valid postcodes in FIS/SLD is missing something.

Thank you for your reply. I have just heard back from Tribal and it is apparently an EBS error! I have been given a work around, which appears to have now worked. Anyone else who uses EBS will need to go to the raw ILR file and do a find and replace for LSDPostCode> with LSDPostcode> this will then go through both FIS and SLD

Louise Clarke
    Participant

I too am getting the error LSDPostcode_01 The Learning start date postcode is not valid and have checked the postcodes and they are correct – its only 2 learners who are affected.

I have emailed the service desk for advice.

nicolewilliams
    Participant

Hello,
    Could anyone please advise on how to correct the following error
    LSDPostcode_01
    It is a Blackburn postcode and we have funding on the National AEB contract.
    As far as I am aware the postcode is correct.
    Thank you.

Do you use EBS? If so, please see my earlier response regarding the raw ILR file

Martin Locock
    Participant

Warning on submitted ILR.

I have entered Planned Learning Hours as now required for Funding Model 36 aprrencteiships.

I get the Rule Violation warning
    ‘Planned learning hours’ or ‘Planned employability, enrichment and pastoral hours’ may be wrong. The total of ‘planned learning hours’ and ‘planned employability, enrichment and pastoral hours’ should) more than 1,000. Check ‘planned learning hours’ and ‘planned employability, enrichment and pastoral hours’ are correct.

Two points: the planned learning hours *are* more than 1,000. Plus the minimum planned hours should be (12 months * 20% OTJ) = about 355 hours.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Q&A on Submit Learner Data and FIS’ is closed to new replies.