[CLOSED] Question & Answer session on Qualification Achievement Rates (QAR) 2018 to 2019 with the ESFA

Home Forums Data issues [CLOSED] Question & Answer session on Qualification Achievement Rates (QAR) 2018 to 2019 with the ESFA

Tagged: 

This topic contains 61 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Laura ESFA 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Provisional data for QAR 2018-2019 has now been published on the View Your Education Data portal. There will no longer be any data on the Hub.

To access the data you will need to request IDAMs roles from your organisation’s super user. The role you need is: View Your Education Data – QAR .

To coincide with the release of the data we will also be hosting a Q&A thread on this forum. We’ve lined up in-house experts from Policy, Data and VYED to answer your queries.

Please post any general queries or questions you have on QAR below and we will be posting responses from Monday 13 January to Monday 20 January.

We have also published a guidance document explaining how we measure the performance of FE providers.

Please remember not to share learner information on this thread. If you have a specific query about certain learners then please complete a data query form, email this to the service desk and ask us to assign your query to ‘ESFA Business Operations QAR’.

donna1805
    Participant

Good Morning -I have learners affecting my success rates who were non starts in 2015,2016,2017? Why would these be included in the data – Their planned end dates were not in 2018-2019?

Please advise
    Thank you
    Donna

itsme
    Participant

Hi Donna,

We had this exact query last year and raised it with Pellcomp. This is their response – I am sorry as it’s not going to be what you’d like to hear, but should help you with why it’s happened.

The problem is that where a learner is withdrawn to a previous year, they’re usually no longer in scope for export in the current year and the change in data doesn’t get reported to the ESFA. Until recently, it simply wasn’t possible to make prior-year ILR changes but the 2015/16 Provider Support Manual contained a very subtle change of wording in section 11.2 where they added “this date will be in the previous ILR year: do not use 1 August 2015”. Prior to this, the advice for making changes was always to mark the change as being made on 1st August so the ESFA could pick up on that. We hadn’t seen any announcement on this from the ESFA, so from the wording change alone we had to infer that it was now OK to send data for the previous year and that it would be processed by the Hub.

Changes were made in PICS to ensure that learner aims could be marked for export where they would not normally be included. We chose to do this by creating a drop-down that allows you to specify, for a particular year, whether an aim should be included ‘Always’, ‘Never’ or ‘Automatically’. These work as follows:

Always – The aim will be picked up by the exporter for the year in question whether it appears valid or not
    Never – The aim will be ignored by the exporter even where it appears to be valid
    Automatically – Whether the aim is included or not will be determined by the export rules

In order for prior-year changes to seen by the ESFA, the aim has to be exported in the current year and this requires the ‘Export in [year]’ option to be set to ‘Always’. This was initially a manual process, but due to user feedback we began to automate this where particular changes were detected. The list of conditions we detect is as follows:

Providers first started encountering Overdue Planned Breaks and Overdue Continuing in February of 2017, so we published a blog post to try and explain the situation. Although it focuses on Overdue Continuing more than Over Planned Breaks, this is simply because those were being reported more at that time. Here’s the blog post: https://www.pellcomp.co.uk/2017/02/qar-reconciliation-issues/

Emma M
    Participant

Please can someone provide additional guidance on transfers?

We have 5 transferred apprentices appearing in our QAR data, all with duplicate records. 3 of the 5 have 1 included record and 1 excluded record each. 2 of them have both their new aim and their old aim included. Why is this?

Emma

GaynorLF
    Participant

How do I print off my Apprenticeship Summary page please?

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question:
    Good Morning -I have learners affecting my success rates who were non starts in 2015,2016,2017? Why would these be included in the data – Their planned end dates were not in 2018-2019?

Please advise
    Thank you
    Donna

Response from ESFA

Hi Donna,

Thank you for your question. There are a number of different reasons why this might have happened, such as an overdue planned break. However, to be certain of the exact reason in this particular case, please complete a data query form, email this to the service desk and ask us to assign your query to ‘ESFA Business Operations QAR’.

Thank you,

Laura

Emma Ford
    Participant

Good Morning,

Upon analysing our Qualification Achievement Rate data on Thursday 09/01/2020, it came to our attention that we have a discrepancy between the data produced from our own Management Information System and the data downloaded from the View Your Education and Data portal.

After reading the Apprenticeship QAR Technical Specification 1819 V3 (updated on Wednesday 08/01/2020) it appears to be because you have changed the methodology for calculating overall Qualification Achievement Rates for Apprenticeship Standards on Funding Model 36 (amended the hybrid end year derivation to account for the ‘Achievement Date’).

Would somebody please be able to explain / clarify why the ESFA decided to make this decision after the in-year figures had already been released at R12 and after R14 year-end hard close and why this information was not communicated sooner?

Many thanks

Emma

donna1805
    Participant

Morning -Yes I have submitted my Data query form aswell.

Thank you
    Donna

Gillian2600
    Participant

Do you have the latest available data for 19-24 traineeship achievement rates. We cannot find data specific to traineeships online

Thanks

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question:
    Please can someone provide additional guidance on transfers?

We have 5 transferred apprentices appearing in our QAR data, all with duplicate records. 3 of the 5 have 1 included record and 1 excluded record each. 2 of them have both their new aim and their old aim included. Why is this?

Emma

Response from ESFA:
    Hi Emma,

Thank you for your question.

There are a number of different reasons why this might have happened, depending upon planned end dates, actual end dates and learner start dates for the records referenced. So that we can investigate in this specific case, please could you complete a data query form, email this to the service desk and ask us to assign your query to ‘ESFA Business Operations QAR’.

For broad guidance on transfers, please see the latest apprenticeship QAR technical specification 2018-2019 document.

Thank you,

Laura

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question:
    How do I print off my Apprenticeship Summary page please?

Response from ESFA:
    Hi Gaynor,

Thank you for your question. To print your summary page you need to either take a screenshot or use a snipping tool on your PC.

I can assure you, though, that we are currently investigating better ways of printing the report.

Thanks,

Laura

KLF2015
    Participant

On the QAR APPS COMBINED spreadsheet, Column QAR_Status_Timely there are Apprenticeship Standard learners with QAR Inclusions next to them, does this mean that our QAR is including Standards into our overall timely success? with a 0 then against all learners in the Timely_Achiever column.

Thanks

cholt
    Participant

Q1. The English and Maths GCSE tab has a breakdown of the grade distribution. This graph appears to be using all starts as the dataset, and not taking account of exclusions (i.e. it includes non-starts and transfers).

Please can you confirm that this is correct and that it will be corrected for the final release?

Q2. We have some apprentices where the frameworks are coded with completion:outcome statuses of 2:8 in R14 18/19 and 2:1 in 19/20, where the 19/20 R04 file has not been matched as the latest record for this aim. These are showing in our timely QAR as non-completers. Likewise, we have some that were coded as 1:null in 18/19 and 3:3 in 19/20 that have been matched to the latest file. All the associated matching elements as per the technical specifications are consistent.

Please can you confirm whether using the record from the 19/20 R04 file is dependent on any criteria (such as the completion status at R14) or whether it should always be used if present in the 19/20 file.

Thanks

sambern
    Participant

It was mentioned in July 2019 that data for standard completions would be considered up to October 2019. Is this still the case?

6. Information: developing a new transparency table for apprenticeship standards qualification achievement rates (QARs)
    During the transition period to apprenticeship standards, where new relationships between training providers and end point assessment organisations are being built and consolidated, we recognise that some apprentices are unable to complete their apprenticeship standard at the time it was initially recorded on the ILR.

Where apprentices are planned to complete between May and July 2019, and will not be able to complete until after July 2019, this will impact on provider Qualification achievement rates (QARs).

To account for these delays, we will publish a new transparency table in March 2020. This builds upon the apprenticeship standards explanatory paper we published alongside the official National Achievement Rate tables (NARTs) last year, giving the sector more information about standards as the programme develops.

The official QAR will be published through the National Achievement Rate tables in March 2020, and the new table will be published alongside NARTs transparency tables at the same time.

We will provide more information about this new table in due course, however it will contain as a minimum:

the key figures from the QAR calculations (the volumes of leavers, achievers and the QAR)
    the apprentices who were excluded from this year’s QAR because of delays, meaning that they did not achieve or withdraw by their planned end date
    a subset of the apprentices above who subsequently achieved between August to October 2019
    a new unofficial QAR that includes the late achievements above
    We are developing how we use this data, and will provide more information in due course, covering:

working with Ofsted to ensure that they understand what we have done and why, so that they use the data appropriately in their inspection planning and judgements.
    recognising this data in our approach to applying minimum standards
    reviewing what we provide in Find Apprenticeship Training

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  sambern.

steveh
    Participant

sambern
    Participant

Amazing!

Really useful to see what the plans are. @steveh how did you find this? It didn’t appear in any of the weekly updates did it?

steveh
    Participant

kind of? it is mentioned on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/qualification-achievement-rates-and-minimum-standards

which was updated last week, but I think you’re right, the new QAR documents weren’t mentioned in Update at all, only the data release…

Stephen Briggs
    Participant

When I log on to https://viewyourdata.education.gov.uk/Report/QAR_1819 I get a dashboard with no data in. The provider name, type and UKPRN do not have anything to select from. I raised this with ESFA and their resolution was to raise it on this thread.

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question

When I log on to https://viewyourdata.education.gov.uk/Report/QAR_1819 I get a dashboard with no data in. The provider name, type and UKPRN do not have anything to select from. I raised this with ESFA and their resolution was to raise it on this thread.

Response from ESFA

Hi Stephen,

To receive a dashboard through VYED for QAR a provider must have valid leavers for the 2018/19 period who are not on 16-18 programmes funded through School or Academy funding models as these are not included in QAR.

Thanks,

Laura

Stephen Briggs
    Participant

We are a sixth form college with 16-19 students.

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question:
    Do you have the latest available data for 19-24 traineeship achievement rates. We cannot find data specific to traineeships online

Thanks

Response from ESFA:
    Hi Gillian,

Traineeship programmes are not currently reported in QAR – the aims that are delivered as part of a traineeship are however included in the E&T report.

We are developing a separate Traineeship Outcome measure and will release further information and a report using 2018/19 data later this year.

Thanks,

Laura

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Thank you for your questions so far. You might notice one of my posts has been deleted as I muddled up the questions and answers. Sorry for the confusion this must have caused!

I will be back in the morning with more responses to your questions and follow-ups.

Thank you,

Laura

MarkR
    Participant

Hi,

We have two “Academy 16-19 Converters” as part of our MAT (both former Sixth Form Colleges). Strangely one has QAR 18-19 data showing in dashboard and the other does not. The one who academised in 2017 has and the one that academised during last academic year hasn’t.

We asked ESFA Service Desk about the missing QAR 18-19 and they said “16-18 programmes funded through School or Academy funding models are not included in QAR. As this is a pre-academisation account, this will be why you have not received a VYED dashboard.”

This doesn’t however explain why the other Academy 16-19 Convertor in the MAT (the one who converted in 2017) has QAR 18-19 data (for both 16-18 learners and 19+). According to

Please can you clarify?

Thanks,
    Mark

Livia
    Participant

Hi, we have a few questions we would appreciate if you could answer:

1 – Can we have more clarification on timely achievement impacting QAR?
    2- Have ESFA revised the 62% benchmark after moving to standards?
    3- Can we publish QAR 18/19 for our industry ?
    4- Will QAR rates have an impact on visit cycles ?

Many Thanks, looking forward to hear from you

SFA STAFF

Laura ESFA
    Keymaster

Question:
    On the QAR APPS COMBINED spreadsheet, Column QAR_Status_Timely there are Apprenticeship Standard learners with QAR Inclusions next to them, does this mean that our QAR is including Standards into our overall timely success? with a 0 then against all learners in the Timely_Achiever column.

Response from the ESFA

Apprenticeships Standards will not be included in the QAR Overall Timely calculation. To confirm this you can check if the Timely_Leaver column on the referenced records is set to 0. If the column is set to 1 then there could potentially be a data issue. If this is the case then please fill in a data query form and send it through to the Service Desk.

Thanks,

Laura

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.