Redundancy and Transferring Learners

Home Forums Data issues Redundancy and Transferring Learners

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Fairway
    Participant

I’m looking for some advise please.
    I have an apprentice in workplace learning who has been made redundant. He has been offered a job with another employer as of next month. This employer uses a different training provider so we need to transfer him over.

My question is when transferring him on the ILR do I need to change the employer status also?
    At the date of transfer he would not yet be officially employed by the new company but I can’t see that it’s right to leave the employment status as employed by his old company either. We’ve had to leave his learning aims open as he is still attending college (we have had validation from the SFA that it’s ok to do this).

Does anyone know how I should approach this?

Thanks.

Martin West
    Participant

See page 63 of the ILR provider support manual Table 6 for general guidance but this is not specific over if you should add a new employment status entry.
    I would advise against this as it may be picked up by validation as all Apprentices must be employed.
    However you could try it (as the SFA do allow for completion in these circumstances) and if FIS does not generate an error then all is Ok.
    HTH

Fairway
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Martin. I’ve been through the support manual also and will be recording a transfer as advised in the table.
    As there is no advice regarding the employer status I thought I’d check on here to see if anyone had experienced a similar situation. I might have to enquire again with the SFA/data service as we are due an audit and need to ensure all is correct! We are using the ILR entry tool instead of FIS so will have to check for any errors on our DSAT report as I can’t see that the ILR entry generates error reports in the same way as FIS.

Martin West
    Participant

You can use FIS to check the export from the ILR entry tool so I would advise that you use FIS prior to any submission of your date as this will allow you to identify any errors excepting those that are specific to the HUB only.
    HTH

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Forgive me, but should not the ILR data reflect reality?

Therefore why not show the Learner’s employment status changing when they were made redundant?

If they are transferring to another Provider then I am assuming that would occur before they went to the new employer and therefore the Provider they are leaving would have no need to record this? However if they join their new employer before ceasing tuition with you, then why not record this as well?

HTH,
    Caspar

Fairway
    Participant

The learner will not be officially employed by the new company until after the transfer so the new provider will record this. The learner has recently been made redundant so we are looking to see how to record this on the ILR as they are also still in training for the majority of their learning aims. We have been advised to keep these open and transfer them all from the same date. (All changes-redundancy, transfer and new employment- are being made within the same month).
    I would assume we need to change the employment status to reflect this change, but unsure how to go about this without causing errors.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Caspar,
    I think that is what I said but with the caveat of checking that FIS does not error.
    Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.