Retention rate calculation

Home Forums Own Software Writers Retention rate calculation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Alan Taws
    Participant

Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction with regards to calculating retention factor for Study Programme delivery.
    I understood it to be based purely on the core aim and basically whether or not the core aim is completed but I”ve had correspondence with the Service Desk stating that retention rate is still applied across all qualifications.

So I’m just wondering if there’s still a retention rate per aim calculation that is used for quality/performance purposes and a quite separate core aim only retention rate calculation that is used for funding purposes? Or have I been misled thinking that the retention factor is based based solely on the core aim?

I’m also unsure on a technicality- if the core aim carries through to the next academic year is it counted as retained or is it excluded from retention calculations as being neither completed nor withdrawn? If anyone can point me in the direction of technical guidance it would be much appreciated.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Alan,
    In the FIS mdb export learner table the retention indicator (LrnDV_RetentNew) is set either to 1, 0.5 or 0 for EFA learners.

From the EFA funding calculation specifications:
    Learner’s New Retention Status
    This element sources the in-year retention status for each learner calculating an in year value from 2013/14 data. For academic learners the calculation sets the learner as retained if any of the aims in the programme are continuing, completed or on a planned break otherwise the learner is not retained. For vocational learners this logic runs only on the core aim.

The learner’s new retention factor

0 =the learner is not a start

1=the learner is studying an academic programme and for at least one of the learner’s learning deliveries the learning delivery’s completion status is currently known and any the learning delivery’s completion status = 1 or the learning delivery’s completion status = 2 or the learning delivery’s completion status = 6

1=the learner is not studying an academic programme and for at least one of the learner’s learning deliveries the learning delivery’s aim sequence number = the learner’s latest core aim sequence number and the learning delivery’s completion status is currently known and any the learning delivery’s completion status = 1 or the learning delivery’s completion status = 2 or the learning delivery’s completion status = 6

Otherwise=0.5

Any carry over learners will be continuing and will return 1

HTH

Anonymous

Hi Alan,

Just to add that the QSR report will still contain retention rates across all qualifications to help monitor performance.

But as Martin says, only retention on the core aim is used to determine the retention factor and therefore funding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.