RPL Best practice

Home Forums Data issues RPL Best practice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • simonl
    Participant

Hi just looking to see if anyone working for a large apprenticeship provider would be willing to speak to me about RPL.
    I understand RPL and the need and how to identify it. We have skill scans in place and calculators to work out reduction in funding and LOS if required. The area we are struggling with is when it comes to over 600 sign ups a month trying to get them all done at the first visit (which I understand we have to do) and making sure the right person is doing the initial assessment to identify RPL.
    Would be interested to see how other people are managing this if anyone is happy to discuss.

THanks in advance

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    If you are trying to get it done at the first visit then this would be a problem. The Apprenticeship Agreement allows there to be a period between the start date and the start of the practical period (start on ILR) in which you can arrange your onboarding processing.
    Why do you understand you have to do this on one day on the first visit?
    HTH

simonl
    Participant

Hi Martin

We are doing this on a sign up visit and if we do not do this then we are unable to identify RPL. We need to identify this in order to agree LOS and price which all need doing at sign up and agreeing with the employer for them to sign and confirm it all.
    We start learning on the first visit too so the sign up visit is the first visit.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    Taking into account that the start of the practical period must be evidence by actual learning I find it difficult to understand how you can do this at signup when the following cannot be included as they not funded Enrolment, main provider (or subcontractor) induction, initial assessment, initial diagnostic testing, or similar activity including APL.

Given that you also must have completed and agreed the commitment statement prior to the start I cannot see excepting in limited circumstances how this can all be completed on the same day as they start training.

The normal practice is to undertake the initial contact, diagnostic testing and skills plan in order to feed into the commitment statement prior to agreeing the start date.

simonl
    Participant

We do deliver learning on the first visit so this is not an issue and have always signed commitment statements on the induction visit which has never been a problem for us.

What might be normal for one provider may not work for another so I am hoping to speak to other similar organisations to get an idea of how they do it.

Martin West
    Participant

That would be in contravention of the funding rules:
    P63 Before the apprenticeship starts and before the apprenticeship agreement is signed, you must ensure that the apprentice and their employer have contributed to and signed a copy of the commitment statement (often known as the individual learning plan). This should set out how all three parties (apprentice, employer, and main provider) will support the achievement of the apprenticeship.

simonl
    Participant

We are fine with this Martin and have been audited many times without it being an issue, we could sign this 5 minutes before as it does not specify the timescale on how long before the app starts.

Martin West
    Participant

If you can do all that on the first visit (sign up) and include APL then what’s the problem?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.