Service Desk response time

From Thursday 10 December, feconnect will be replaced by ESFA Communities.

Feconnect is being replaced by a more robust, accessible service. ESFA Communities is now live and so feconnect will be read only from Thursday 10 December 2020. From this date it will not be possible to create or reply to topics or posts. Feconnect users will need to create a new ESFA communities account to post, reply or subscribe for email alerts.

Home Forums Data issues Service Desk response time

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  lapsed_user 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
  • Caspar Verney
    Participant

I have been struggling to get responses from the Data Service for some time and wonder if anyone else has been having such problems as they have refused to tell me if any other jobs have fallen by the wayside or not.

I submitted a job to them on 8/11/2013 and have the acknowledgement so I know that is when they received it.

The first response I had from them was on 27/11/2014 over a year later and the issue is still not resolved today.

Other jobs I have raised have taken several months to get any answer, whereas some seem to get an answer very quickly. It appears that the long time ones are those that they have to refer on to other departments, but that there is no follow up and hence they disappear into some kind of black hole.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of frustration?

Other companies I deal with have an automatic system for all jobs logged that reminds the Customer Service people to chase them periodically and to update the end client accordingly – why don’t the Data Service follow the same practices?

sophie
    Participant

Query logged on 8/1 and reminder sent on 15/1. No acknowledgement and reference number given !

darrenvidler
    Participant

Hi Caspar,

I logged a query in mid 2014 and up until Friday hadn’t had a response despite several requests for an update. I finally managed to obtain a response after asking one of our Executive Directors to get involved – surely it shouldn’t take a message from senior management at a provider to resolve queries?

Regards,

Darren

old25
    Participant

Hi Casper,

I always struggle with the data service especially if it involves FIS. I had a problem that needed looking at before a return close and I got a response a week later that just said do you still need help with this. I have an ongoing query at the moment and the new system of sending update emails does not work as when you reply you get a new incident number and I am not getting a clear answer which is very frustrating. I find more help on here then the service desk without it I would be lost!!!

kayleighhogg
    Participant

Hi Caspar
    I am continually frustrated by this issue and frequently complain to SFA but get no response. I wait on average 2 weeks for a reply to a query and often the reply I get is not sufficient and does not answer my question. Sometimes I just need a quick answer to a straight forward answer and the service desk operators are never able to answer the question themselves which means the job is logged and gets put in the black hole for weeks. I try to find out the answer through other sources now rather than waste my time!

sampage
    Participant

yes I am afraid Service Desk is not what it used to be

sampage
    Participant

I also have the same problems and when I do get an answer often it is not an adequate response to the question I asked.

trainingprovider
    Participant

This forum is my first port of call now. The inappropriately named ‘Helpdesk’ is a definite last resort. I have numerous examples of calls that have ‘vanished’. The tactic seems to be wait for a very long time then close it with a ‘No response from user’. The other stock reply is ‘Speak to your relationship manager’.

Caz
    Participant

So I’m not alone then…..

In their defense they USED to be ok, but have got worse and worse, especially since its changed – it seems like the Helpdesk now has a Helpdesk. If you call them there is an outer layer you have to go through, you cant actually speak to the Helpdesk you can only leave a message for them.
    My queries have been on average 7 working days, but i have had to chase up at least 70% of these – or they just fall into the black holes you mention.

My 1st port of call is now always this forum – i get 90% of my queries answered on here, even though many of you are not experts (no offence intended!!) your replies help me out of so many holes. And on the rare occasions you cant help (like the HUB crashing every 5 mins!) just knowing there are many others out there feeling my pain helps enormously! 🙂

lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi All,

We’ve shared this thread with the Agency’s Head of CDS and Service Centre. The Service Centre Advisors are a newly formed team following the recent Agency re-structure and whilst this team are still undergoing training in all aspects of the Agency’s work they will be responding a little slower as they need to fully investigate and validate any response before they are communicated back to you.
    We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and would like to reassure you that response times will improve.
    Plans are already in place for senior Service Centre staff to attend provider meetings such as the Data Management Information Advisory Group and the Technical User Group to discuss the current levels of service and future plans for the service.

regards
    Anne

jowright
    Participant

I’ve almost given up reporting things to them. I only work Tuesday to Thursday and invariably I wait weeks for a response only for them to send an email on a Friday morning asking for further information. Then because I haven’t responded within 3 days they mark it as RESOLVED!

Matt
    Participant

Yes they’re quite poor these days, particularly on the telephone.

I called them 2 weeks ago to clarify the use of the new non-regulated Community Learning aim refs for IT courses, and my call was noted down in the most vague way possible, which ultimately led to the next colleague emailing me back a week later with an answer that had nothing to do with what was asked.

After sending a clarifying email I received the correct answer a further week later, but I had already managed to get the answer from someone on these forums.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Hi Ann,

Thank you for the politically correct response, however, for me at least, that is rather missing the point.

No doubt it will help greatly to have people who can answer the telephone AND answer some of the questions asked, but fundamentally there seems to be a system in use that says if front-line staff cannot answer it then the question must be passed on and then it disappears into the ubiquitous “black hole” with zero progress chasing (at least certainly that is how it appears from outside) leading to many of the user frustrations expressed here. Training the front-line staff will not resolve this, I am afraid.

However I am glad to hear that someone senior at the SFA is looking into this and I can only hope that will result in significant step changes rather than just incremental.

jowright
    Participant

A petty example in comparison to everything else that is wrong, but when we submit an ILR we receive the following message:

“Thank you for your 1314 ILR submission. You will be notified once it has processed”.

Why hasn’t this message been changed yet to reflect the fact that we are now returning a 1415 ILR? I asked the Service Desk this months ago whilst we were still returning two ILRs so this was a very confusing message. Now its just annoying!

KarenS
    Participant

Most of the times that I have rung them to query something, I am put on hold whilst they talk to a colleague, then they come back on the line and ask me for the same information again, then after lots of umming and ahhing I get silence and it then becomes really becomes apparent that they don’t have a clue what they are doing and just cut you off and you then just end up going round and round in circles – really really poor customer service!! I get much more help on this site 🙂

trainingprovider
    Participant

@jowright I have this as an outstanding call since August 2014! Totally agree with you!

jowright
    Participant

The power of FEConnect forum! My example has now been fixed in that they have removed “13/14”. I could point out that in August, when we are returning two ILRs, this could be confusing, but that would be picky.

jowright
    Participant

I wonder if they’ll fix my long-standing request to change the FIS so that it defaults to 14/15 now!

Caspar Verney
    Participant

On the presumption that the Head of CDS and Service Centre is still monitoring this thread, please can I add another badly delayed request for help? This specific one is Service Desk Reference Number 546382 which was raised 21/11/14 and the response came 20/1/15 saying “This is still being looked at by the methodology team” and then on 21/1/15 saying that the issue had been resolved 18/12/14, but with no explanation for the delay in communication. The “Resolution Reminder” received today does rather rub salt into the wound on this one and I am not sure if this new practice of sending out a “Resolution Reminder” after the original supposed resolution is actually a step in the wrong direction – this is purely a personal opinion, but I share it here in the hope that it will help with future improvements.

There used to be a “Customer Satisfaction Survey” run on the Service Desk each month (which I would have fed this back via), but that seems to have been inexplicably stopped and so I hope that using FeConnect in this way may help to plug that gap, albeit there are so many threads apart from this one which may need to be looked at.

Many thanks,
    Caspar

joannab
    Participant

An issue I’ve noticed of late is that calls are being closed and marked “resolved” when they most definitely are not. I have had this happen a number of times now – my most recent call (INC0034532 in case this thread is still being monitored by anyone helpful) has now been closed TWICE without resolution.

I wonder how many tickets are being closed and “resolved” just so that the helpdesk meets its response targets?

lapsed_user
    Participant

Hi Joannab

The Head of CDS is aware of your post and is in the process of investigating the incident(s) to establish where the issues lie.
    A member of the service team will be in touch to ensure your query is resolved as appropriate.

regards
    Anne

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.