Simplified Funding Rates Catalogue

Home Forums Data issues Simplified Funding Rates Catalogue

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 7 years ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
  • Simon France
    Participant

Hi all,

We are supposed to refer to this spreadsheet as the definitive guide to what is being funded in 2013/14.

Firstly, the version released last week contains over 1,000 learning aims less than the one released just 10 days prior.

Secondly, there are some peculiar discrepancies. For example:

50102473 NCFE Level 2 Award in Support Work in Schools (QCF) is shown as being eligible for 24+ Advanced Learning Loan (!)

50099644 CACHE Level 2 Award in Support Work in Schools (QCF) is shown as being funded for Unemployed learners only.

Both are effectively the same qualifications just from different awarding bodies.

I suspect that really, the YES, is in the wrong column for the NCFE aim and really it should be the case that it is only funded for unemployed people. But if our Curriculum Manager hadn’t checked both aims, he wouldn’t have figured that out.

So beware, folks. All may not be what it appears.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

As I understand this, the rates shown on this spreadsheet are for 19-23 and the rate for 16-18 will not be revealed until the start of the new academic year (which makes planning for next year slightly challenging!!!).

It is extremely disturbing to hear that so many Aims have vanished from the list when the new academic year is so close upon us as this also torpedoes planning for the next year. I would not be surprised if Aims are added to the list, but removing them at this late stage does beggar belief.

I fail to understand why this is such quicksand.

With regard to Apprenticeships in 2013/14, my understanding to date is as follows, but I should be very grateful if anyone spots any fallacies in my interpretation:

Anyone who starts their Apprenticeship during 2012/13 will be funded throughout their learning using the rate applicable in 2012/13 and NOT the new funding rates in 2013/14. The exception is the Completion amount which will be 20%. Before 1/8/13 the Completion amount is 25% and so the missing 5% will be automatically calculated by the SFA and paid spread over how ever many months remain from 1/8/13. If a learner is aged 24 when they start before 2012/13 then they will continue to be funded that way until the completion of their course (how they will be designated in the age banding in the PFR has yet to be revealed). There is no special data entry from providers other than what is indicated in the 2013/14 ILR Specification. If the Pathway Code was zero when the learner started then this is not changed, even if they stop and restart for any reason (eg an agreed break in learning, or for a change in ALSN during 2012/13).

Anyone who starts their Apprenticeship on or after 1/8/13 will be funded using the new rates with 20% Completion. Learners aged 24 or more will not be funded, only through loans/bursaries. Those aged 19-23 will be funded using the rates shown in the SFA spreadsheet. Those aged 16-18 will be funded using the rates shown in the SFA spreadsheet multiplied by some factor that will not be revealed until the start of the new academic year (let’s hope the factor is greater than one and considerably so!). Pathway Codes must be found in the LARA (or whatever its replacement is called) and zero should probably not be used.

Martin West
    Participant

Delayed Posting – Third attempt to get through the spam filter
    Hi Caspar,

Not sure about 20% achievement rate funding for carry over and new learners on existing frameworks as it is implied that funding will be the same as for 2012/13.

I anticipate the 16-18 rates may be same as 19-23 as there was already a planned reduction of 2% for 2013/14.
    Most recent starts should have pathway codes >0 as most frameworks have already been updated, not sure about updating after a break or a change but I advise to update it if it’s after the ‘Effective From date’ as long as the framework issue has not changed.

For the Aims that have vanished I think this was due to the removal of little used aims.

I noticed that the Rates SpreadSheet contains the same level of information on class codes as does Appendix H and LARA-‘little to none’; a quick calculation indicates they will need over 30,000 codes.

We will just have to wait and see, only June and July to go before the first learner starts and providers will want to record their learners.

Do you know what their Plan B is?

paultaylor
    Participant

The New Streamlined Funding document is pretty clear in the application of funding rates for the new year;

http://readingroom.lsc.gov.uk/SFA/A_New_Streamlined_Funding_System_for_Adult_Skills_FINAL.pdf

Only new starts on completely new frameworks ie those frameworks that do not exist in 2012/13 will have rates calculated using the funding matrix and apprenticeship factor (paragraphs 39 and 47).

All existing frameworks will retain their 12/13 rate. There is no indication that 16-18 will be reduced but of course you never know (paragraph 81).

The achievement element applies to all qualifications and includes carry over learners (paragraphs 7, 64-66). For carry over learners the funding system will calculate how much funding remains per qualification, and then in the first instance reallocate the achievement element of this (20% of the qual rate), before spreading any remaining funding over the remaining OPPs.

24+ apps will be funded at level 2. It is only L3+ which is loan funded,

I believe that carry over 24 year olds will be funded at the 19-23 rate but will be labelled as 24+ in the PFR.

Renay
    Participant

With regard to the Achievement for carry over learners. Does this mean that if we have a learner that has gone past their expected end date in 12/13 and does not complete until mid year 13/14, because there are no OPP’s for the 5% to be spread across that we could potentionally lose it? Or would we get it as a lump sum on R01?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    You could be correct for the 20% in that it is too complicated to do it right.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Renay,
    I also had to ask myself the question, will use of the 2012/2013 rates for existing Apprenticeship frameworks in 2013/2014 together with the 2013/2014 funding mythology make any difference.

To answer this I have done a quick and dirty comparison to cover all combinations of situations and achievement for Apprenticeship learners on existing frameworks, new start, part way through, out of funding and different combinations for aim achievement.

The results indicate that in general that any gain would be limited to 5% overall for 100% achievement of all aims for all learners and a loss would only occur if the overall completion rate fell well below the MPL.

So no adjustment or allowance for the change in mythology needed.

Simon France
    Participant

Another interesting ditty on the Funding Rates Catalogue.

There are 70 Level 3 Awards in the catalogue that are NOT flagged as eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan. These aims are also NOT flagged as being funded for Unemployed/OLASS only.

So, that would suggest they are funded for everyone – but I though the SFA wasn’t funding any Level 3s?

One of our Curriculum Managers wants to run one but he’s not sure whether to believe the catalogue or not.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Simon,

Yes the SFA are funding the 19-23 cohort at level 3 but the learners eligibility will determine if full or co funded my version of the Rates catalogue (15/5/2013) only indicates just over 30 such awards but it is thought as these are mostly the latest additions that they should only be available for the unemployed and as with other identified errors or omissions they need to be updated by the SFA.

I would advise the curriculum manager that it would be better to work within the general principles of the funding guidance and assume that they will only be funded for the unemployed.

Anonymous

Renay, lots of threads here, so I’ll repeat your question: ‘With regard to the Achievement for carry over learners. Does this mean that if we have a learner that has gone past their expected end date in 12/13 and does not complete until mid year 13/14, because there are no OPP’s for the 5% to be spread across that we could potentially lose it? Or would we get it as a lump sum on R01?’

My understanding, from a remark that Nick Chomyk made at a recent software suppliers’ meeting, is that the missing 5% will be paid on achievement of the framework or the individual aim in the guise of a balancing payment.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Luke & Renay,
    Without a crystal ball I do not know and without documentation on what Nick Chomik actually meant will still don’t know but if payment is based on the current rate with funding being calculated using the new mythology calculations then this should attract 20% achievement payments to all competence and knowledge components within an apprenticeship and not only the main aim as per this year so for some learner we may gain while for others we get less.

What the SFA should have done is to fund us using the same rates and mythology as used this year for existing frameworks but it looks like the simplification may have produced more complication.

Has anyone a definitive answer to this?

Simon France
    Participant

Thanks you for your feedback, Martin. I had forgotten that L3 was being funded for 19-23. This simplification of the funding system is turning out to be more complicated than I originally thought.

Gaz
    Participant

Hi all,

To clarify please on the Apprenticeship funding,

“Anyone who starts their Apprenticeship during 2012/13 will be funded throughout their learning using the rate applicable in 2012/13 and NOT the new funding rates in 2013/14”

Does this mean following the old formula?

SLN * Programme Weighting * National Rate * Area Cost * Disadvantage Uplift

Taking these values from LARA?

And then for New Learners

“Anyone who starts their Apprenticeship on or after 1/8/13 will be funded using the new rates with 20% Completion.”

Takes the funding rate from the SFA Funding Catalog?
    Does this apply to only Learners on new frameworks only?

“Only new starts on completely new frameworks ie those frameworks that do not exist in 2012/13 will have rates calculated using the funding matrix and apprenticeship factor (paragraphs 39 and 47).”

Or does it apply to Learners starting starting after 1/8/13 as well?

Sorry, I’m somewhat new to this and finding my feet.
    Thanks
    Gaz

Martin West
    Participant

Hi All,
    Ok so plan B is to pay on profile up to period R03 but as I need to provide some financial reporting for next year I have had to make some assumptions from the guidance with the aid of a crystal ball and rumours.

For profiling 2013/14 Apprenticeship funding I have assumed that the calculations in 2013/14 for existing frameworks will reflect the 25% achievement rate while at the same as using the new 20% mythology.

For the main aim the remaining monthly payments would be as per 2012/13 with achievement at 20% plus 5% as a balancing payment.
    For other competence or knowledge based aims this is a little more difficult and would be dependent on what funding is left to be claimed at the start of 2013/14, if funding remaining is less than 20% then monthly payments as per 2012/13 but no achievement payment would be made, if funding remaining is greater than 20% then achievement would be paid but the remaining monthly payments would be reduced by the 20% achievement amount.

You do have to question why these rumours exist is it that the Data Service are only releasing information to a selected few software suppliers and MI managers or is it that we just do not have the information we need.

It is all getting a bit late in the day any bets on Plan C.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Hi All,

Frustratingly I have not been notified about the ongoing postings here and so am late in catching up – my apologies.

My understanding for next year’s funding is similar, but not the same as others have posted, so here is my take:

We will be paid on Profile in R01 & R02 by the SFA. Assuming the DCFT has delivered a fully working system on time (ie July or early August according to the latest revised timetable) then R03 should be reconciled and paid on Actuals.

All Learners starting on or after 1st August 2013 will be funded using the new methodology (although I agree that mythology might be a better phrase). I am assuming that all such Aims will be funded as per the SFA spreadsheet for 19-23 and that 16-18 will be funded by those rates multiplied by some factor (hopefully greater than one!), although I do not expect that factor to be revealed until August 2013.

Any learners who start before 1st August 2013 will be funded using the Funding Rates from 2012/13 (ie those that we know now). However the Completion Funding will switch from 25% to 20%. If the Aim still has sufficient to be paid then whatever is owed by the SFA for OPP will be paid PLUS the missing 5% from the Completion Funding and spread out evenly over the remaining months.If there is no OPP owed then the missing 5% will still be paid spread out over the remaining months (although I wouldn’t be surprised if that actually becomes paid in the final planned month, rather than spread out). For something like Functional Skills there is no Completion Funding in 2012/13, only OPP, so if one continues into 2013/14 then it should follow what I have said above, however it could be that 80% or more has already been paid in 2012/13, in which case I would expect no more OPP and whatever is outstanding to be held and paid as if it was Completion Funding when the learner achieves. There should be no circumstances where the Provider earns more or less than they would have earned in 2012/13 for a learner who starts before 1st August 2013.

It is abundantly demonstrated in this thread that the “Funding Simplification” is delivered only by that title, but not by the reality. However it is to be fervently hoped that in future years the title will be better earned.

With regard to Pathway Codes – a Learner should use the same Pathway Code throughout that Learning Aim, even if a new Pathway Code is subsequently introduced and even if they have an agreed break in learning.

Many thanks,
    Caspar

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Caspar,

Sorry about the ology is it not a myth that the method is simple?

With regard to the specifics the final calculation specifications were time-lined by April why these are not available to us now is incomprehensible why are the data service keeping this secret?

As normal I have more questions than answers.

Regards

Dave
    Participant

Hi

I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some help with.

I am interested in learning about IT User course funding. However how this works may help other people.

In the cover note section of the excel spreadsheet, it lists IT User course with B – weighting. For our Diploma at 38 credits this is shown as £2225.

We actually deliver this as part of an apprenticeship.

On the apprenticeship tab of the spreadsheet, the Diploma for IT Users (ITQ) (QCF) is shown as £3177.

1. Why is the value different?

2. On the cover note it under the apprenticeships sub heading it states :-
    “The level of Government contribution will be applied within the funding calculations.” – what does this mean?

3. If the figures shown are for 19-23 what will the 24+ learner rate be? (assuming it is funded for level 2)

Thanks for any help.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    The Apprenticeship rates only apply to existing frameworks, for new frameworks in 2013/14 the SB rates will apply but with an additional uplift for the framework.
    The level of Government contribution is for full, co-funded or not funded as may apply to the individual learner.
    The 24+ rate will have the same reduction as this year but any level 3 will be loan or full cost.

Dave
    Participant

Thank you Martin

Where can I find out the uplift for the frameworks?

Is there any good links people have to help find out all this sort of information first hand?

Thanks

Dave

Martin West
    Participant

Hi David,
    The uplift relates to the framework weighting and is in 5 bands from £1350 to £2322.
    All the information is available in the following:
    http://readingroom.lsc.gov.uk/SFA/A_New_Streamlined_Funding_System_for_Adult_Skills_FINAL.pdf

Regards

Dave
    Participant

Thanks again Martin.

If anyone has any other good links for information around funding, then please share.

Cheers

Dave

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.