Supported Internships where placement ended due to COVID-19

Home Forums Data issues Supported Internships where placement ended due to COVID-19

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gladiator 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
  • Gladiator
    Participant

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if you could help me answer the following question regarding internships.

“We wondered whether, if we are having to re-enrol learners from this year’s (2019-20) cohort for another year with us due to the current Covid-19 situation, is there a way we can do this that won’t impact on the funding formula going forward. The majority of our learners have had their work placements come to an abrupt stop with an uncertain future so it’s likely we’ll need to start again with them in September – this is of course no ones fault but due to the current crisis situation. We’re waiting on government guidelines around Supported Internships but in the meantime wondered if there’s been any communicating around this either from the ESFA recently or if from your experience know how this could be coded in light of the current situation?”

Based on the above explanation: please are you able to give us guidance on this or direct us where to look up and how we should record on ILR? do we record them as ‘Temporally withdrawn’ just as a break in learning?

Apologies if I missed anything, but please let me know if you have any information on this.

Many thanks in advance.
    Glad

Gladiator
    Participant

In addition to my question above, does the following also apply to Supported Internships so that they can also be put on a break in Learning? Apologies, it is not clear about this particular group.

Guidance
    Maintaining education and skills training provision: further education providers
    Updated 24 April 2020

“Breaks in learning
    ESFA funded AEB and advanced learner loans (including bursary fund) funding rules for 2019 to 2020 already make provision for ‘breaks in learning’ for a range of circumstances.
    You and the learner can agree to suspend learning while the learner takes a break. This allows the learner to continue later with the same eligibility that applied when they first started their learning.
    We are extending the current breaks in learning rules for ESFA funded AEB and advanced learner loans to:
    • allow a break in learning at the learner’s request where a learner is self-isolating, or caring for others affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) and is unable to continue by distance learning and/or an online offer
    • allow a break in learning to be recorded where a provider is unable to deliver because of the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on their own business and there is no possible delivery by distance and/or online learning
    Where some learning aims have been delivered, this should be evidenced in the usual way. However, where a break in learning is now beginning or expected, providers should include these learners in their individualised learner record (ILR) submission and record breaks in learning as starting on the date of the last learning activity for the aim. It is likely that these aims will have been suspended knowing that it will be reviewed at stages over the coming months. Under no circumstances should the current planned end date be changed.

To record breaks in learning for coronavirus (COVID-19) reasons, providers should:
    • include these learners in their ILR submissions
    • record, retain and submit evidence in the usual way
    • record a break in learning in their ILR submission
    • ensure that the affected learners are not recorded as permanently withdrawn from their learning, by entering the ‘completion status’ field of the ILR as ‘6’, denoting that the learner has temporarily withdrawn from learning due to an agreed break in learning as a direct impact of COVID-19”

If the above also applies to the supported internships, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    Glad

steveh
    Participant

Hi Glad

Supported Internship are, to the best of my knowledge, always Study Programme funded (funding model 25) and therefore Breaks In Learning are not permitted.

As for what we’re meant to do with them, your guess is as good as mine! You’re right that if they all go through as withdrawals then it will stuff your retention rate for funding in two years time, *assuming* the rules are applied as they currently stand. This seems ~relatively~ unlikely to me at the moment? I can see them using 18/19 ret for 21/22 allocations as a sticking plaster answer to it, but that’s off the top of my head, not heard anything official.

Gladiator
    Participant

Hi Steveh,

Thank you for getting back to me on this – much appreciated.
    We find it a bit unfair as there is nothing official related to COVID-19 on Study Programme funded (FM 25) learners.

We all understand that, Breaks In Learning are not permitted on Study Programme (funding model 25)funded learners: maybe the ESFA should also think of waiving the break in learning rule during COVID-19 lockdown period? This is difficult for us as we may end up using the above rule which they have released on 24 April 2020.

Thank you again Steveh
    Glad

steveh
    Participant

I think part of the problem is there aren’t really very many SIs, so they kind of fall between the cracks. We haven’t had a proper ruling on Traineeships yet either and, to be fair, that’s a much more high profile programme. I’d expect that guidance, when it finally comes, to apply to SIs as well?

Also, BILs only really exist to stop funding in-year for a given learner and FM25 doesn’t really work like that, that’s why they’re not allowed, because it doesn’t usually mean anything in the context of how the funding is distributed. In situations where I’ve had ill Study Prog learners who go off for 6 months we’ve just left their aims open until the next year and they end up just not being timely, rather than anything else.

Interestingly, just checked and it doesn’t look like putting an FM25 learner on a BIL will trigger an ILR error even though it’s very clearly against the rules… Wouldn’t fancy explaining it to an auditor mind!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  steveh.

Gladiator
    Participant

We are really keeping our fingers crossed for this guidance to come out before the R10 return, otherwise we will have no choice than to put them on a BIL.

Thank you again steveh.
    Glad.

steveh
    Participant

I don’t get why you’d have to put them on a BIL in R10?

Martin West
    Participant

For 16-19 funded learners
    431. The ILR does not record breaks in learning for 16-19 funded learners (Funding model 25 and 82).
    432. If a 16-19 funded learner has agreed a leave of absence with you, then the learning aim record(s) should be left open.

Gladiator
    Participant

The reason for this is that their workplacement has stopped/closed due to COVID-19 and unsure what to do in this situation. Also, no learning activity is happening at moment as they are all self-isolation: again this is a tricky situation for us.

If we do not put them on a BIL, do we just leave things as they are and keep returning ILRs to the ESFA?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Glad

steveh
    Participant

Just to be clear, you are funded on the usual FM25 lagged model for these learners, right? In which case, I wouldn’t worry about it until R14 by which point, SURELY, we’ll have some clearer guidance about what to do!

Gladiator
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your input on this: apologies, I did not see your response earlier – we will stick to that.

Hi steveh,

Yes, we are funded on the usual FM25 lagged model for these learners. Thank you very much for the reassurance and thank you again for taking the time to look into this for me: we will leave things as they are now.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
    Glad

Martin West
    Participant

Just leave aims open as a BIL is not appropriate, as Steve has said if we get further guidance before R14 then you can update the records.

Gladiator
    Participant

Thank you Martin: we will do.

Glad

Gladiator
    Participant

Good afternoon,

Following the post above, the ESFA just released the following paragraph and I am wondering we can also use this LDM Code for our Supported Internship learners? The guidance/update does not specify the funding model, but I assume this also relates to Supported Internships? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

ESFA Update: 3 June 2020
    5. Information: individualised learner record (ILR) reporting – learners affected by COVID-19
    We have introduced two learning delivery monitoring (LDM) codes for training providers funded by ESFA who are in receipt of support through the provider relief scheme (PRS), these codes are valid for use from 21 March 2020.

LDM code 368 should be used if a learner was on a programme funded by us and who is currently unable to continue with their training and education as a direct result of COVID-19. Training providers in receipt of the ESFA provider relief scheme will continue to engage with those learners with a range of activities so they can restart their programme as soon as it is safe to do so.

LDM code 369 should be used to identify those learners whose start date has been delayed by the impact of COVID-19. Training providers in receipt of the provider relief scheme will continue to support those individuals so they are ready to start learning when it is safe to do so. The LDM code will be used when you return the ILR to confirm the learner has now started their programme.

In addition, training providers funded by ESFA who are not in receipt of support from the provider relief scheme should also use these LDM codes where learners have been affected by the impact of COVID-19.

Thanks in advance
    Glad

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    Only if you are receiving support through the provider relief scheme (PRS)
    HTH

Gladiator
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will ignore this update and leave things as they are on ILR at the moment.

Thanks again
    Glad

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Glad,
    I missed the following:
    In addition, training providers funded by ESFA who are not in receipt of support from the provider relief scheme should also use these LDM codes where learners have been affected by the impact of COVID-19.
    So you could use either code as appropriate.

steveh
    Participant

I have written them a grumpy email asking what “should” means… Does it mean “must” or does it mean “can”? What happens if we do/don’t?

Gladiator
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you again: It we will go ahead and use one of the LDM codes for that. Glad that we can use these for supported internships as well.

Thank you again for your help always.

Glad

Gladiator
    Participant

Hi Steveh,

Sorry I missed your response. You did the right thing: please share with us if the get back to you.

Thank you again.
    Glad

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.