Withdrawn learner wants to restart

Home Forums Data issues Withdrawn learner wants to restart

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  GaynorLF 1 year ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Emma M
    Participant

Hi,

We are an Employer Provider. We had an apprentice who left us at around 9 months on programme (so around 3 months learning to do then EPA). She left our company, but is now in talks to come back. When she left we believed she was a permanent withdrawal so marked her as such in the ILR.

I’ve been asked whether or not she can re-enrol on her apprenticeship. I’m not sure what the answer is! My instinct is no, but was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Emma

Hughes18
    Participant

Hi Emma

Yes you can restart this learner back onto the same apprenticeship whilst the qualification is still valid and not passed certificate end.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Hello,

See this epic thread on the subject.

We’ve basically been told by the ESFA that you won’t be able to do this (as your apprentice has less than 12 months to go). However, it’s not strictly in the rules that you can’t, and you may wish to go ahead and do it anyway for the benefit of the student. You would need to record them with the restart indicator to do this.

Hughes18
    Participant

You need to use the RES code and original start date to calculate the minimum duration. The learner is allowed to complete the apprenticeship.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Hi Hughes18,

If you read the thread I linked to, you will see that the Service desk have categorically said that this is not allowed. Most of us don’t agree, but that is what the Service desk are saying.

Hughes18
    Participant

Hi
    Sorry i just had to pull myself off the floor! I’m in agreement with you. Surely policy cannot intend to pursue this?

If a learner has 6 months remaining and there is no other qualification relevant where is that learner going to go? There is only one electrical standard available as an example and even if that was not the case, employers will not support this. Bonkers.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Yes, I know! I think in reality, you’ll get away with giving them a 6 month duration on a restart after a full withdrawal. It just appears in a DSAT report. I think most auditors would accept the combined duration. However, if the auditor queried it with the ESFA, sadly we’d be in the wrong. I think the ESFA need to be pressured to change that decision. It’s the students that will suffer if we do what the Service Desk are saying.

Hughes18
    Participant

They are confused, very confused and this completely goes against their own rules regarding where a learner returns!!
    The issue we would have is where we recruit a learner with significant prior learning outside of an apprenticeship where there is little time to deliver the minimum duration.
    Do you have an Account Manager at the ESFA that you can approach to clarify this rule?

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I would just observe from many years on FeConnect and dealing with the Service Desk that the Service Desk is not always best known for its accuracy.

GaynorLF
    Participant

I agree Caspar. However, I don’t think we can ignore this one given the amount of times it has been confirmed by them. Many people have queried this and all got the same response…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.